Volos Travel Answers

change location

Travelling from Volos to Athens

by zyamani Online Now May 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I will be travelling from Volos to Athens this summer. I wanted to know what is a more reliable and faster means of transportation - the bus or the train. I need to catch a flight from the airport in Athens at 4 pm. I will be arriving in Volos via ferry at 8:30 am. If I take the bus, apparently I will arrive at the bus station in Athens and then have to take a taxi to the Larissa metro before getting to the Airport. If I take the train/rail I will arrive at the Larissa railway station and then take a metro to the airport. Is this correct? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • StefanosS's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling from Volos to Athens

by StefanosS Online Now May 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM

"...If I take the bus, apparently I will arrive at the bus station in Athens..."

You are talking about Kifisos KTEL Bus Station.

There is a public bus line connecting the airport with the Kifisos Intercity Bus (or KTEL) Station (central station for busses that run domestic routes all over the country), and this is the Express line E93. The bus runs every 35 minutes. The route duration from the airport to KTEL station is less than 1 h, depending on traffic load. Cost is about 3 euros. This is your first option.

"...If I take the train/rail I will arrive at the Larissa railway station and then take a metro to the airport..."

Correct. This is your second option. But take into account the following:

(Published in February 2009)
    Dear passengers,

2009 will be a highly productive year for the Athens Metro, as in about a year from today nine new stations will be put into operation which will serve thousands of residents and workers living at very densely populated areas of Attica. The extensions at four fronts proceed with intensive pace, however since the 14th of February there must be a necessary 6-month suspension of operation at the section Ethniki Amina - Halandri - Doukissis Plakentias - Airport, in order to complete the construction works for the three in-between stations at Holargos, Nomismatokopeio and Aghia Paraskevi, which unfortunately were not delivered when the extension to the airport was put into operation in 2004.

The above discomfort which will last for 6 months is rendered unavoidable. However, we hope that the discomfort will be minimised, since the Hellenic Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works and the Hellenic Ministry of Transport & Communication, in cooperation with the Athens Urban Transport Organisation, Attiko Metro Operation Company S.A. (AMEL) and Attiko Metro S.A., have figured out the best possible solutions for the facilitation of the passengers traveling from Ethniki Amina towards the Airport. In August, the Nomismatokopeio station will be put into operation, simultaneously with the reinstatement of operation of this section of Line 3. At the end of 2009, the Holargos station will be put into operation along with a new parking area at Nomismatokopeio with a capacity for 630 vehicles. Finally, the Aghia Paraskevi station will be available for the passengers to use in the middle of 2010.

(...)

Possibly somebody more exrerienced can guide you about metro alternative solutions, but I think your first option (Kifisos KTEL bus station) is the best.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Travelling from Volos to Athens

by sophia24 Online Now May 24, 2009 at 9:49 AM

the second way i think is better.you will arive at the train station in athens and you ll take metro for the airport.i think its faster.when you are in greece you can call 1110.its informations for the train schedule.

• Re: Travelling from Volos to Athens

by zyamani Online Now May 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Thank you for your thorough reply,

If I do take the KTEL Bus from Volos to Athens, is there a way that I can make reservations in advance (in English)? Also, do you know how long of a bus ride it is exactly from Volos to Athens?

Thank you for your time,
    Zain

• StefanosS's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling from Volos to Athens

by StefanosS Online Now May 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

There is a bus 12 times per day, travel time about 4.30' (320km). 5 of them are EXPRESS (faster).
    http://www.ktelvolou.gr/ (but only in Greek language).
    e-mail: ktelvol@otenet.gr
    tel. (Volos office) 2421033254, 2421025527.

Intercity train is 8 (or 10?) times per day, travel time 5.00 hours.
    ose.gr/ose/content/Home.aspx...

Sorry, I don't have more info.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines