Volos Travel Answers

change location
loftyken's Profile Photo

What to do in 1 day?

by loftyken Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Hi mates. We are a family of 2 adults and a child and are going for a cruise on the MSC Poesia. The ship is going to embark in Volos on 4th April from 09:00 am to 19:00. Please advice what's the best to do and see in one day. Is there enough time to visit the monasteries of Meteora or Mount Pelion ? Is it wise to go on tour or is it possible to make it on our own. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Rachel972's Profile Photo

Re: What to do in 1 day?

by Rachel972 Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Meteora is wonderful, I don't know about the child. The internet says 2 hous drive in each direction (we drove long ago) and in Meteora you have to get from one monastery to the next on a different mountain top, you don't know the opening days of each monastery, we had some disappointments. So this really should be made in a tour from the ship. And if the bus returns late the ship waits. You'll also probably fall asleep on the road back.

Mount Pelion is just near Volos, very green and nice villages also some interesting old turkish architecture. I personally would like to do Pelion again, driving, but I don't know if its possible to get a car for the day. Maybe they're waiting for the cruise passengers, and maybe it's still before season. Taking a tour to the Monastery may not get you through the beautiful landscape.

Ask on the ship if the Volos people still go on the waterfront promenade in the evening, I don't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday evening, that was a great event.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: What to do in 1 day?

by varioAthens Online Now Apr 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I thing it's better to rent a car and make a tour of Pilio! Don't spend much time at villages overlooking Volos though. The most beautiful beaches are at the Pilio's side that overlooks Aegean Sea!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines