Volos Travel Answers

change location

Getting married in Pelion

by Blackace16 Online Now Mar 22, 2006 at 9:39 AM

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in or near Volos this summer and are looking for some advice. We are staying in Kala Nera and were wondering what is the best way to go about asking the Mayor of a nearby village or town to marry us? I have been sending emails to people with web sites like crazy, but no responses so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Getting married in Pelion

by GKE Online Now Mar 22, 2006 at 11:10 AM

Hi there and congradulations on your decision. This is an original question.

I do not understand what you mean by saying "the best way". I think there is only one way, and that is to do all the paperwork. I am afraid that no mayor will accept to marry you if you haven't done the paperwork. I found some web pages that give details about the formalities.If understood correctly at least one of the newlyweds shoud be Greek citizen but I am not sure. Unfortunately the pages are only in Greek. If you need more assistance I can try to do the translation.

portnet.gr/odigos/astiki_kat...;.

http://www.keratsini.gr/n/ipi/1c.htm

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Getting married in Pelion

by Blackace16 Online Now Mar 22, 2006 at 2:38 PM

Thank you for your quick response. Are you sure one of the newlyweds needs to be a Greek citizen. I heard that the witness has to be Greek, but anyone can be married in Greece with the proper paperwork.
    We are working on the translations for our Birth Certificates and Notice of Impediments right now, so all that is left is the Marriage Certificate, which apparently has to be supplied by a Mayor. We also wanted the same Mayor to perform the ceremony, but are having troubles figuring out how to contact the Mayor's office (of any Pelion town), since we don't speak Greek and most of the relevant web sites are in Greek .

Sorry I didn't provide all the info the first time around, I just wanted to see if there would be any responses first. Thanks again for your response.

• RE: RE: Getting married in Pelion

by GKE Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 9:18 AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines