change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

Hilo Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

more
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

Hilo Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

more
    • stacig's Profile Photo

Where to eat, and must-sees in Volcano

by stacig Online Now Sep 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We are staying at the Lotus Garden Cottages for 3 days before joining a group in Kona. We wanted to see this side of the island, never having been there before. We love to hike and explore - what are the "must-see" experiences that a local recommends? And where to eat? I have to admit I panicked a little when I booked first and then looked at restaurant options... :-/

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Restaurants and Markets

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I've got a flight to Kona and am picking up a car there to drive up to Volcano and spend a day there with my grandson at the National Park. (I know it will take 3 hours but I'm not coming from the mainland - just from Honolulu after getting off a cruise ship - so not jet lagged.) I had intended to stay at the Park Lodge, but that seems like a bad idea.

Anyway I was unable to get a place that offered breakfast, and the restaurants seem to be kind of sparse in that area. I get the idea that it is very isolated. But the place we are staying has a kitchen we could use for breakfast. Are there any little grocery stores around there or are there more restaurant/diner type places than show in the guidebooks? Does the park itself have a place to get lunch? Will I be able to get gas for the car there?

2 Answers Dec 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM