Volcano Travel Answers

change location
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Restaurants and Markets

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I've got a flight to Kona and am picking up a car there to drive up to Volcano and spend a day there with my grandson at the National Park. (I know it will take 3 hours but I'm not coming from the mainland - just from Honolulu after getting off a cruise ship - so not jet lagged.) I had intended to stay at the Park Lodge, but that seems like a bad idea.

Anyway I was unable to get a place that offered breakfast, and the restaurants seem to be kind of sparse in that area. I get the idea that it is very isolated. But the place we are staying has a kitchen we could use for breakfast. Are there any little grocery stores around there or are there more restaurant/diner type places than show in the guidebooks? Does the park itself have a place to get lunch? Will I be able to get gas for the car there?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants and Markets

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I realize that I made a mistake in flying into Kona instead of Hilo, but it is probably too late to change it. We will visit Kona and Hilo both on the cruise before we are doing the park.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants and Markets

by jumpingwithnorman Online Now Dec 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Hi, there.. The volcano park that I think you're staying at is past Kailua-Kona... For your car rental, you might need a 4-wheel drive to get to the volcano. The car rental companies won't authorize their cars to be driven on the rougher roads. Be sure to visit Manago Hotel (excellent pork chops, old-style Hawaiian ambience) and Teshima's (yummy traditional Japanese style restaurant). I believe they're both on the way from Kona to the Volcano National Park.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines