Vlissingen Travel Answers

change location
Dsurfryder252's Profile Photo

Surfing in Vlissingen.

by Dsurfryder252 Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I am planning a surf trip through Europe. I am flying into Schipol then heading south to the town of Vlissingen to see where my name started. I share the same last name as that great Dutch admiral that was born there. I was wondering how hard it is to travel around with surfboards while im in The Netherlands? If the trains let me take my boardbag? The Fee's? Places to stay? I will be by myself the whole time. And the most important questions. The waves and where to surf? I will definetly check out Domburg. After here Im off to France,Spain,Portugal, then to Morocco. Ive traveled through other countries but never Europe. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Surfing in Vlissingen.

by ATLC Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 10:43 AM

ah, Michiel de Ruyter!
    Be sure to buy yourself a box of chocolate sprinkles (hagelslag) by the brand name of De Ruyter. A typical Dutch thing to eat on your slice of bread at breakfast.

The surf in NL is not very impressive. There's more kitesurfing and diving going on around these regions.

Domburg: "Popular for beach and family holidays" - Domburg by ATLC (my page is more history focused than sports focused though).

About your plank.
    Get the PDF with the General Conditions of the national railway at:
    ns.nl/cs/Satellite/ns2007/en...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dsurfryder252's Profile Photo

by Dsurfryder252 Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Thanks. Ive seen video of some descent days at Domburg. I know its the North Sea, not the Ocean. But seeing as im gonna be there in the dead of winter id figure there be something kicked up. And as im gonna have my boards with me I might as well try to surf. And, I will definetly try the chocolate things. Aloha

• 64novpt's Profile Photo

by 64novpt Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM

In Portugal the most famous spots are in Peniche and Ericeira, check www.penichesurfcamp.com and www.surfericeira.com, for some insights.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM

The famous Michiel de Ruyter statue at Vlissingen is being restored; it's not at its usual location for a while (we still have pictures on our Vlissingen pages).

The general rules for the train only speak of hand luggage (there are special bicycle tickets!)
    Hand luggage may not occupy a seat, not cause any from of abstacle to other passengers.

For the remainder luggage is covered by the rules described in the general treaty of European Railroad Companies (COTIF).

PJ

• Dsurfryder252's Profile Photo

by Dsurfryder252 Online Now Nov 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

When will the statue be back in place?

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM