Vladivostok Travel Answers

change location

Car Ferry from Japan to Vladivostok

by KiwiHasher Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

In April 2014 I intend buying a car in Japan and then driving across Russia to the UK. Can anyone help me with info on transport to Vladivostok?

Quote & Answer
32 Answers
  • bugulma's Profile Photo

Re: Car Ferry from Japan to Vladivostok

by bugulma Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

wikitravel.org/en/Vladivosto...
    well, Russian roads are not good :-) I hope that your car will be alive after that :-)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

If you google car ferry Japan Vladivostok it comes up with quite a few sites that you may want to look into, but first i would contact the Russian Embassy and get details of rules and regulations regarding taking a car into Russia although the link below implies that it is quite straightforward, but that is from the west.
    waytorussia.net/Transport/In...

• whiteritter's Profile Photo

by whiteritter Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

To bugulma: Not only car )))))....I remember one old Russian gangster moovie about one Russian man who was removing Japanese car from Vladivostok to the central part of the country.It was the real action moovie))).

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Sunny_cat's Profile Photo

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hi, Im really surprised of your decision 8-) Why do you want to buy car in Japan? Is it very special car, which you can not buy in UK?
    Russians use cargo trains, rack cars or ships for transportation cars from Vladivostok to cenral part of Russia usually, because they want to save a good look of car. And last few years buying cars in Japan is not so popular in Central part of Russia, like 5-8 years ago. Custom duty and expenses for gasolin and hotels is high, roads are really not good. It is problems with customs and transit visas (especially for you). And it is very long trip from Vladivostok to UK - 12 000 km!!! It is 2.5 weeks in trip minimum! It will be a gold car :) IMHO, you should use cargo ship from Japan to GB

2 members found this helpful

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM

http://travel.drom.ru/20039/

report about trip Vladivostok - Moscow

• Re: Car Ferry from Japan to Vladivostok

by KiwiHasher Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM

We are from New Zealand and are doing this trip to see a different part of the world at our own pace. The car will most probably be a Toyota Landcruiser that can cope with bad roads

by KiwiHasher Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The site has great photos, but unfortunately I cannot read Russian, so will have to try and find a translation. - Many thanks

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Aaa, I understand - it is an expedition :)

I found another one blog in this site about trip Moscow-Vladivostok, and one man was from UK, and he wrote his blog in english:

http://travel.drom.ru/21157/
    trans-siberian-2011.blogspot...

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

PS You can try to e-mail him for consulting ;)

Jude@Machado.co.uk

by Sunny_cat Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Popular ferry Vladivostok-Sakaiminato via Korea

dbsferry.com/eng/main/main.a...

by albertoman Online Now Jun 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have come across people who just don't get it, It is not buying a car to take home and keep, but it is a long driving holiday where you enjoy the thrill and living on an edge during the trip. We are looking to do it from Japan to Livingstone, Zambia. By the time we get home if we do the car will only be good for the scrap but we will have tales and invaluable memories and experiences.
    The route: Vladivostok to Grozny, to Amman, Jordan to Cairo and the last stretch of 4326miles to Livingstone Zambia.
    Total of about 19500Km including some errors on the roads.

by KiwiHasher Online Now Jun 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Hi Albertoman,
    We have given up on trying to buy a car in Japan and shipping it to Vladivostok. Instead, we have bought a Nissan X-Trail in New Zealand and will ship it from here to Vladivostok. It costs a bit more but avoids all the hassles in Japan. We intend starting our trip in April next year and have just started Russian lessons which will hopefully help us on our trip

by albertoman Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I hope it goes well for you. The X-Trail is a very strong car. Do you realize that the high way from Vladivostok to Russia is now 'A' road quality? I could not belive how cheap the fuel is in Russia.
    Which part of Australia are you from?
    I did not think that the Russian Language was going to be very important because I was looking to zip through Russia in a few days. But I will have to learn a bit of how to go about asking for this or that and directions.Thanks for reminding me. I did study Japanese when I lived in England so it will be handy in the 2 weeks I will be in Japan. I can not read or write it though.
    I intend to start my trip in June so as to avoid the very cold weather in Russia. I'm hopping to get a few students to come along, only if they can pay their own insurance, food and fares to Japan, I would feel safer riding short gun with 2 cars. I would be looking to do it in 2 months.
    Regards,
    Al.

by albertoman Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Sorry Which part of New Zealand?
    Alberto.

by KiwiHasher Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Hi Alberto,
    We are from Northcote Point in Auckland.
    We don't have a set itinerary, so may end up travelling off the main road to see interesting places etc. We are also thinking about deviating into Mongolia where the roads are definitely not Ä" standard. The weather may be rather cold for the first part of the trip, so we'll have to make sure that we have plenty of warm clothes.

by k974 Online Now Sep 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Hi Kiwi Hasher,

Paning the same trip around the same time ex Brisbane, maybe we can share notes on the shipping etc.

Thanks
    Sean
    skeane19@gmail.com

by KiwiHasher Online Now Sep 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Hi Sean,
    I have had a quote of about NZ$3600 to ship the X-Trail from Auckland to Vladivostok in March next year

by k974 Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM

No Answer Text

by k974 Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Hi kiwi hasher who was that shipping with? Who are you using for customs clearance on the other end would you be interested in exchanging notes on it
    I Thanks

by albertoman Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

What I did was went to Tradecarview site located the V70 Volvo I intend to use on my trip to Africa, asked for a quote from Japan to Vladivostok and they quoted me something in the region of about US$650.

by KiwiHasher Online Now Sep 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Heidi Attenberger

Sales Support

TNL International Auckland Ltd
    ddi: (09) 256 2112

fax: (09) 275 4404

heidi@tnlintl.co.nz

www.tnlintl.co.nz

by KiwiHasher Online Now Sep 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hi Heidi,
    I haven't yet arranged for clearance at Vladivostok. Ther is a blog that mentions an agent. i will try to find it and send you details. Have you been able to arrange comprehensive insurance for the trip? I have not had any luck through brokers in NZ.

by KiwiHasher Online Now Sep 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

This website, although quite old has a lot of useful info

dreamers1.com/russia/Practic...

This is the official Russian customs website - very important

eng.customs.ru/index.php?opt...

This blog is interesting, if a little difficult to follow
    twomagadan.blogspot.co.nz/20...

by albertoman Online Now Sep 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Hi
    Trade car view arranges all the shipping and they give you details of the Clearing Agent in Vlad. Trouble is they can not give you the exact dates.

by KiwiHasher Online Now Sep 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

We are not shipping the car from Japan, so they would be of no help to us. Thanks

• pierdest's Profile Photo

by pierdest Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 5:21 AM

I live in Japan, I have a car and I have the same project as you. Can we share our experience ?
    pierre.destruel@gmail.com

by KiwiHasher Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we have had to cancel our trip due to other matters.
    Good luck with your project.

by euronippon Online Now Jan 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM

That would be a fantastic adventure which I thought about doing myself when I lived in Japan about 10 years ago, but there was no proper road all the way in those days. There is now though, but it won't be fully asphalted until 2016. So, you might want to wait a little longer.

In any case, it would be far simpler for you to avoid the ferry to Vladivostok. That ferry mainly takes second-hand Japanese vehicles to be sold in Russia. A much more straightforward route is the ferry from Wakkanai in Hokkaido to Sakhalin. A vehicle under 4m in length will cost you 28,000 yen The website that gives you all the details you need is heartlandferry.jp/english/in.... However, do bear in mind that this ferry only runs from June to September. You can't take it in April. There is no need for a special permit to enetr Sakhalin anymore and they will be able to issue you with a Russian Green Card so that your vehicle is insured. Then, you take another ferry from Kholmsk to Vanino on the mainland. Take a look at sasco.ru/en-Vanino-Kholmsk-i.... and horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/n....

Youy should preferably get a Business Visa as opposed to a Tourist Visa since that allows you to stay in Russia for 3 months. It will need to be double-entry since part of the Transsiberian Highway goes visa Kazakhstan. This means you will need a Kazakh visa too.

Have a good trip and if you need an extra passenger, who will also do his fair share of the driving, you know who to ask.

• pierdest's Profile Photo

by pierdest Online Now Jan 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

euronippon wrote:

That would be a fantastic adventure which I thought about doing myself when I lived in Japan about 10 years ago, but there was no proper road all the way in those days. There is now though, but it won't be fully asphalted until 2016. So, you might want to wait a little longer.

In any case, it would be far simpler for you to avoid the ferry to Vladivostok. That ferry mainly takes second-hand Japanese vehicles to be sold in Russia. A much more straightforward route is the ferry from Wakkanai in Hokkaido to Sakhalin. A vehicle under 4m in length will cost you 28,000 yen The website that gives you all the details you need is heartlandferry.jp/english/in.... However, do bear in mind that this ferry only runs from June to September. You can't take it in April. There is no need for a special permit to enetr Sakhalin anymore and they will be able to issue you with a Russian Green Card so that your vehicle is insured. Then, you take another ferry from Kholmsk to Vanino on the mainland. Take a look at sasco.ru/en-Vanino-Kholmsk-i.... and horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/n....

Youy should preferably get a Business Visa as opposed to a Tourist Visa since that allows you to stay in Russia for 3 months. It will need to be double-entry since part of the Transsiberian Highway goes visa Kazakhstan. This means you will need a Kazakh visa too.

Have a good trip and if you need an extra passenger, who will also do his fair share of the driving, you know who to ask.

You wrote "if you need an extra passenger, who will also do his fair share of the driving"

Can you tell me more about yourself ?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vladivostok