Viterbo and its province is called Tuscia

by LauraP37 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

have you ever been in Tuscia?'

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • tozzidozzi's Profile Photo

Re: Viterbo and its province is called Tuscia

by tozzidozzi Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

No! I've never been there.We are still in Thailand,but after few days we are going to Singapore by air asia.We wiil search some cheap hotels in Little India. Place to stay about 40$-60 per night?Thank you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Most English speakers are probably unaware that "Tuscia" refers to a historical name for the area of the Etruscans, and does not coincide 100% with Tuscany, but also included western Umbria and upper Lazio, also occupied by the Etruscans long ago.

Viterbo, for example, is not in Tuscany (it's in Lazio) but WAS in Tuscia, just like other Etruscan-founded towns like Tarquinia (Lazio) and Orvieto (Umbria).

In any case, to answer your question, no, I have not been to Viterbo (too bad), but I have been to many other Etruscan locations, including Rome (Villa Giulia and the Etruscan Museum in the Vatican Museums stand out), Tarquinia, Orvieto, Chiusi, and Florence (although the original Etruscan town was in Fiesole in the hills above) that I can think of...

Do you have any specific questions?

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yep...there are some cool spots!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Non ancora. Perchè?

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Maurizioago wrote:
    Non ancora. Perchè?

Buona domanda...

"Credo" che "Etruria" fu il nome delle terre degli Ertuschi nei tempi antichi. Dopo la caduta dell'Imperio Romano ai barbari, il nome fu cambiato (piu o menu) a "Tuscia", per esempio, "Ducato di Tuscia" (Lucca) e "Marca di Tuscia". Mi pare che questo nome fu usato pei longobardi (cio'e', i Goti). Poi, piu o menu al cambio del miilennio (900-1000 DC), questa zona fu presa dai longobardi e fatta una dopendiente del Sacro Romano Impero, e il titolo della marca (or ducato) fu cambuati a "Toscana"...non lo so la ragione o causa esatta...

Forse, Maurizio, la causa e' il fatto che questa parte d'Italia aveva ad una volta parlanti di Latino ("Etruria"), poi dopo parlanti di gotico ("Tuscia"), e poi dopo parlanti di italiano ("Toscana")...forse e' cosi' semplice...;-)

Good question...

I "believe" that "Etruria" was the name of the lands of the Etruscans in ancient times. After the fall of the Roman Empire to the barbarians, the name was changed (more or less) to "Tuscia", for example, the Duchy of Tuscia (Lucca) and the Marches of Tuscia. It seems to me that this name was used by the Longbards (that is, Goths living in northern Italy). Then, more or less on the turn of the millenium (900-1000 AD), this zone was taken from the Longbards and made a dependent state in the Holy Roman Empire, and the title of the "marches" (or duchy) was changed to "Tuscana"...I don't know the exact cause or reason.

Perhaps, Maurizio, the cause was in the fact that this part of Italy went from Latin-speaking ("Etruria") to Gothic-speaking ("Tuscia") to Italian-speaking ("Toscana") over the centuries...perhaps no more complicated than that...;-)

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines