Visby Travel Answers

change location
dedrellys's Profile Photo

getting from stockholm to visby in september

by dedrellys Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 9:44 AM

I would like to visit visby while I am in Sweden but my time is very limited. When I try to read the ferry schedule, it looks like there is a single ferry this time of year that arrives visby at 1400 hrs; the only returning ferry on that day is 2 hours later! I don't have the luxury of spending a night in Visby. Is there any other affordable way to get to Visby? The airline price I saw was about600 for the 45 minute trip!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: getting from stockholm to visby in september

by erabler Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 10:27 AM

I think you had better skip Visby altogether if you don't have time to stay overnight. Visby is simply too far away from Stockholm for a day trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vec's Profile Photo

Re: getting from stockholm to visby in september

by vec Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 2:39 PM

Hi, it's actually really cheap to get to Gotland from Stockholm. From Bromma (the city airport) you can get to Visby for about60 USD (one way) with Gotlandsflyg. Their site is unfortunatelly in Swedish only: http://www.gotlandsflyg.se Skyways also have flights from Bromma to Visby, they have a English version of their website, but be aware that you for some strange reason only can find the cheap tickets on the Swedish version. http://www.skyways.se/ Daniel

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Aug 19, 2004 at 2:41 AM

Yes, that seems indeed to be the only ferry time on weekdays. Weekends, there is one more. But yes, better fly if you only have a day to spend, as the ferry takes 3 hours...Visby deserves your time (as does the entire island really...)

• dedrellys's Profile Photo

Re: Re: getting from stockholm to visby in september

by dedrellys Online Now Sep 13, 2004 at 11:57 AM

thanks all. i am safely returned, having thrown caution to the wind (or money) and made a day trip of it, by air. The ticket, as Daniel suggested, was from Bromma but was about240 RT. Still, I left at 9am and dptd Visby at 6pm. Got a great and full day's worth. Even found the homes, business and grave of my third great grandfather!! will certainly return and stay longer!

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

by MikeStarr5 Online Now Sep 15, 2004 at 11:47 AM

One of my friends has just come back from Visby and absolutely loved it too. The only reservation she had was that the tourist season there is very short and by the start of Sepember many of the attractions that you see in the excellent brochures and on the websites have completely closed down for the winter. She told me that she often went for a walk in the middle of the day and saw nobody for ages. For example. it was a warm sunny day and she went to the beach and there was not one other person on it. This of course is not a problem if that is the sort of thing you came to Gotland for. However, if you were hoping for something different, something just a little livlier, you need to go there earlier in the year. Thought that was worth mentioning as my friend was very surprised to find everywhere shut. Regards Mike Starr

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Sep 15, 2004 at 1:32 PM

Yes, everything bar Stockholm shuts end of August in Scandinavia. There simply aren't enough tourists to keep things open once us locals have children back to school and tourists don't come as the weather changes - no one counts on an indian summer when they go to Scandinavia...we have polar bears at the best of times :-)))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines