Vis Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay, and where to go from Vis on way to Dubrovnik

by sueshearer Online Now May 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Hello.

We are arriving in Spilt on 2nd June for three days and plan to travel to Vis on Sunday 5th.

I would welcome any suggestions as to a nice quiet place to stay, with a beach, and some small bars, restaurants and shops.

After four or five days on Vis we need to head down the coast towards Dubrovnik, and would like to have recommendations as to where to go.

We have in mind Korcula, Orebic or Mjlet. Which would anybody suggest. Our budget is not too bad, but not a great amount!

We need to be in Dubrovnik by 12th/13th June, really.

Also is there anywhere just up the coast from Dubrovnik that would fit above description, but allow us to get bus/boat to the town for sight seeing.

Read more: World Travel Forum

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • picek's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay, and where to go from Vis on way to Dubrovnik

by picek Online Now May 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Hi,
    can't say a lot about Vis or Korcula, but last year in autumn we had 10 days in Mljet and we were intoxicated by its beauty so much that I can only recommend it... please google the place, see the pictures from National Park and you'll understand why :) Not yet overbuilt with holiday houses like large portions of the coast, which means that Mljet has kept a lot of authenticity, excellent quiet beaches and food... plus the locals are really nice people to hang out. But like you might have guessed, there's no that plenty of bars and nightlife in such place, most of that things are in Sobra (not in NP), Polace and Pomena which are the biggest coastal settlements of Mljet.

There is catamaran from Dubrovnik daily. Also ferry from Peljesac if you want to go by car.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now May 21, 2011 at 12:49 AM

June is still low season so you shouldn't have any trouble finding accomodation even if you don't book in advance. Local Tourist Info office will be able to offer a selection of accomodation.

For Vis I'd suggest renting a car and exploring the island. You can also use local bus service, but then you can't reach all interesting spots and stop for taking pictures.

Korcula is en route by ferry from Split to Dubrovnik, it is a gorgeous ancient walled town, and a short walk uphill will enable you to see it from above. I always go to Cukarin shop which sells local homemade sweets and also a great selection of special wines and other Croatian delicacies. Arancini - dried and sugar-glazed orange and lemon peels are my favourite! Oh, and Adijo Mare is my favourite restaurant there, they have some local dishes such as Pasticada (pashtitsada) - beef in red wine sauce with plums and a hint of cloves, yummy!

Same ferry stops also in Sobra - island Mljet, and goes to Dubrovnik. This ferry doesn't sail every day, so check the schedule carefully.
    jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/ENG.%20C...

For a location near Dubrovnik which would enable easy access to Dubrovnik, I'd recomment Cavtat. Buses and boats connect these two cities, you can find the local bus schedule here:
    libertasdubrovnik.com/prigra...

and a special bus for tourists, which also links Cavtat and Dubrovnik here:
    libertasdubrovnik.hr/tourist...

For a sightseeing tour of Dubrovnik (outside the city walls, of course), you can use this special local bus
    libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriob...

Have a wonderful time in Croatia!

• SailingSplit's Profile Photo

by SailingSplit Online Now May 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Hi there,

On VIS Island I would suggest Komiza on the west side of the Island - its such a nice place and you can go to Bizevo (the Blue Cave) on boat from there:)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines