Virginia Travel Answers

change location

Blue Ridge Parkway

by missdaniellemv Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Hi! I am road tripping to Tennessee yet again, I take 81S the whole way and usually drive straight through about 16hrs. I am looking to take it a little easier this time and have always dreamed of traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am looking to spend a day on the parkway and stop somewhere along the way to spend the night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to my most efficient route? Suggestions to my start and end points? I am open to switching between the parkway and 81S. What are some sections of the parkway that I should not miss? I want to make some stops along the way to enjoy the scenery. I think I'm definitely interested in stopping to visit Mabry Mill. I am quite the nature enthusiast and explorer. I am also open to the option of driving through the N. Carolina section of the parkway to Gatlinburg as I am familiar with the area and could travel west into Tennessee that way. Also any suggestions where to stay overnight? I will be traveling the first week of April. Thank you so much for any feedback!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

by xymmot Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Depending on where you are coming from, you can enter the Skyline drive from Front Royal that is part of the Blueridge Mountains and follow it through the Appalachian Trail towards Galax. The Trail is a walking path that follows the mountains up and down the east coast. I always wanted to take the year off to walk the route, but never did. Follow the Blue Ridge Parkway is a very long route, so it's best to have a map so when you have enough and have to get going, you can crawl yourself back on the interstate. I think Skyline drive is part of the National Park system and you must pay a fee to drive the route, but there will be many roadside camp grounds and monuments and markers along the way that points to the A Trails which you can take a short walk yourself stopping at any time where there is a marker and a point of entry. My spending a night out there includes camping out, if not camping I just drove to a nearby town or interstate and just check in a nondescript place that is cheap and just pass out. Many places along the parkway near route 250 that you can see on the hill side that should be open by April...(some close for the winter) I myself think the drive at 35-45 mph just too long and eventually get out somewhere and head to a small town for grub. I like camping when I am camping, but when I have short time, I do the interstate. best to get a map to see where you want to enter and where you might want to leave. There are some websites for this travel on (Virginia.org/scenicdrives) that may help you, there is also (wildernessroadva.org) check them out and happy trails, till we meet again! cheers tommy x and thanks for the tips

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

by gwened Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I have not been by there in years, but do plan using a route planner such as
    www.mapquest.com

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines