Virgin Islands, The Travel Answers

change location

buying jewelry in St.Thomas

by vcruiser Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM

If you buy a piece of jewelry in St.Thomas and you find out that it's not exactly as what it says in your written appraisal,do you have any recourse against the jewelry store where you bought it?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: buying jewelry in St.Thomas

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Some cruise lines will stand behind the purchase if you bought it will on a cruise. Other than that "I doubt it." You heard, "buyer beware." I have thought about buying jewelry in St Thomas and other island stops, but I usually price what I want in the USA before I leave and have never ever found a much better buy outside my local dealer. I only once bought a piece of jewelry in St Thomas (a gold nugget necklace piece) and it was not because I got a good deal. I did buy a camera lens there and saved a bunch of money on the exact same lens in the USA. As many times as we have been there the only thing I think we get a great deal on is purfume and booze.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: buying jewelry in St.Thomas

by Agraichen Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM

All depends on the seller and if you were on a cruise. If on a cruise the lines back any vendor that they 'recommend' but if this was independent you're on your own to recoupe. I've purchased in ST a number of times from Bernard Passman and never have had an issue; in fact one item developed a small issue which the Las Vegas store corrected without charge. So some vendors do stand behind their wares. Check with the vendor to get the issue resolved first, then if it's major and you used a credit card, use them to provide leverage.

• Re: buying jewelry in St.Thomas

by vcruiser Online Now Jun 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Thank you for your help. I will try to negotiate an agreement with the vendor
    since I have a paper from a certified gemmologist which contradicts the vendor's appraisal.I did buy another piece of jewelry in S.T. from a ship-recommended jeweler and it was appraised at 3 times what I paid for it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Virgin Islands, The