Virgin Islands, The Travel Answers

change location

st john's usvi crime

by ccoul4 Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I have just heard that crime on st john's has become very bad. Has anyone heard the same thing.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: st john's usvi crime

by xymmot Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It's a small island and crime can only be but a few. These isolated incidents should not mean there is a crime wave going on in St John., so no, I haven't heard, cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vanderlust's Profile Photo

by vanderlust Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I have traveled to St Thomas and St John but not St Croix in the US Virgin Islands. St John sees much less crime than STT or STX. From time to time I hear or read reports of increased crime on StJ. I read reports of villa break-ins and rental car break-ins. I have read of items being stolen from the beach. We have been traveling to StJ since 1985. I have never felt unsafe on StJ. I have never had anything stolen while on StJ. I feel that precautions have to be taken anywhere in the world to diminish the chances of being a victim of crime. Those include doing your homework about your destination. Know where not to be and/or when not to be there. (midnight is too late to be alone on the street) What to and what not to do (keep your eyes and ears open, do not carry valubles to the beach or left in your rental car that you don't want to loose, use the safe in your villa, do not flash cash or jewelry, don't approach strangers to buy drugs, don't pick a fight in a bar etc.)

StJ and the USVI have a relatively small population compared to the number of people (including visitors) actually on the islands. The statistics may become skewed because of this. Crime by visitors or against visitors are counted but are compared to the population.

Below are the web addresses to 3 newpapers that cover StJ. Read through current and past issues and you will see what crime is taking place there. http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/

http://stjohnsource.com/

http://www.newsofstjohn.com/

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM

well that must be news to me ,used to dwell in boats there many years back and it was idylic island.
    things are like anywhere else, change with time and use common sense, all will be ok
    some news on crime from the USVI

crimestoppersusvi.org/crimeo...

hope it helps

by vanderlust Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Thanks for that link gwened. I will bookmark that one.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM

hope it helps, just use common sense thus, most of that is for locals, do not ncludes the visitors.

by vanderlust Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

ccoul4, the island is St. John with no 's'. The inhabitants are rather particular about that. In the caribbean St. Johns is the capital of Antigua. It is a common mistake and one made quite easily until you get a scoulding from a local who wants nothing to do with Antigua.

• Re: st john's usvi crime

by helenslea Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 4:58 AM

We had a week on St John in late December and we felt perfectly safe. It is one of the most beautiful and relaxed places I've ever been. I find it hard to believe that there would be a high crime rate. St Thomas seemed less slow paced and I would be more watchful there.

by vanderlust Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I took time to read through the Crim Stoppers newsletter that gwened posted and it confirmed my recollection from reading the Tradwinds newpaper regularly, that the crime on StJ is mostly theft from unlocked vehicles, some theft from beaches, some burglaries from homes, villas and businesses, family disputes and fights. Very few assaults, crimes against persons or crimes with weapons in the past few years.
    On St Thomas and St Croix there seems to be a regular listing of shootings, stabbings and assaults.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

well same site you can read on all the USVI, is done by citizens like us. BUt like I said this is mostly local stuff tourists are not in it; and I always said is not the same living than visiting lol!
    http://crimestoppersusvi.org/

by tortoise40 Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Got married on St. John in 2005. Love the island but villa break-ins are a problem. Our party rented 4 villas across different parts of the island - 2 of them were robbed in the week we were there. We'll probably go back someday, but we definitely won't leave anything behind when we go out, with the expectation that our vacation home will have some "uninvited visitors."

by vanderlust Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

@ tortoise, You say that 2 of your party of 4 villas were robbed. Was it robbery or burglary? Still that is a high percentage of crime

by tortoise40 Online Now Apr 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Burglary. Although one crime took place while vacationers where in the villa, the culprit got in and out without being noticed. And the other burglar was caught when a vacationer returned from a nightclub to find him in the villa and called police.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Virgin Islands, The