Vinstra

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Flamsbana tickets in Flam

Flåm Feb 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM

We are more interested in the (2hr, 15min) fjordsafari tour in the morning of June 9, 2015. If we miss the 9:30 tour and have to take the 10:55 tour - it would return by 13:10. That would seen to allow us to take the Flamsbana to Myrdal and return in plenty of time before our 18:00 'on-board' time. Our NCL Star cruise is the only ship in port that day as far as I know. Two questions:

For those with experience in Flam, the 9:30 fjordsafari seems to provide us with more than enough time to take the train tour as well - but are my assumptions that the 10:55 fjordsafari tour also allows us to comfortably complete the train trip to Myrdal and return correct?

Since we are the only cruise ship in port that day and not knowing what the weather might be or our desire to take both tours that day, I would like to wait to purchase train tickets until after we return from the fjord tour on the afternoon of June 9. Will that cause any problems?

more
    • One day ashore in Lofoten

Lofoten Yesterday

we are coming in June aboard NCL Star and would appreciate advice on what to see in such a short time please.

more
    • manojk2210's Profile Photo

Travel from bodo

Norway Feb 5, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Hi,
      My interest is in Midnight Sun I am planning to travel Norway in end of June,2015.
      I wanted to know what are the modes of transport from bodo to lofoten islands and its cost? Also, what is the cost of staying in lofoten Island in a hostel. After a stay of day or two in lofoten i am planning to go to Narvik-kiruna-stockholm. how much time does it take to reach Narvik from lofoten islands by bus and what is the timing of train from Narvik to Stockholm. Where can i book tickets ? (Will i be able to Experience Midnight sun in this route or will i have to go to tromso ?)

more
    • manojk2210's Profile Photo

Oslo- Bergen

Norway Yesterday

Hi

I want to ask whether it is possible to take night train from Oslo to Bergen, enjoy Bergen fjords without using Flam Railway then take a night Train back to Oslo. Or is the route very beautiful and should be traveled in day time only? My main purpose of visit to Norway is to experience Mid Night Sun.
      Please suggest
      Thanks

more
    • Weather in early May

Lofoten Feb 19, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Hello,

we are planning to visit Lofoten in early may.. First stop being Reine.
      I would like to know if it is a good time to be there , and whether there will still be snow.
      Personally i prefer more greenery and clear skies.. can i expect that in first week of May ?
      Would appreciate any suggestions, else i might plan my trip a bit late in the month of May.

more
    • monicarc's Profile Photo

nightlife and new moon phase

Tromsø Feb 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM

investigating a possible trip for next year, end of december 2016 and was wondering if tromso has much of a nighlife? I know it will be dark, but are bars open till at least 10pm? also, the dates we are thinking about, the moon would be in the "new" moon phase--is that too bright to see the Northern lights? I know it depends on nature if we see this or not, and we would book with a company--but I wanted to see if we should even try at all. thanks!

more
    • Gigixoxo's Profile Photo

Anywhere to grab some drinks?

Volda Feb 20, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Hi! I was wondering if there's anywhere that I can go out and grab some drinks here in Volda?

Thank you :)

more
    • August trip to Norway

Norway Feb 9, 2015 at 10:38 AM

I will be going to Norway the third week in August for 7-10 days. What are the area's of Norway that I should not miss in the short time I am there? I prefer mountains, fjords, and small villages as opposed to city's. What area of Norway is the most beautiful? I will probably fly into Bergen or Oslo and rent a car but where should I go from there?

more
    • Travelling from Oslo to Flåm by car

Oslo Feb 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Is it safe and possible to see beautiful landscape travelling by car from Oslo to Flåm?

more
    • melosh's Profile Photo

Oslo to Stockhom stopover?

Norway Feb 21, 2015 at 6:51 AM

I am looking for a great place -- town, lake, hotel about half way between Oslo and Stockhom for a one night stopover. Cost is a consideration but we want to take advantage of the fact that we will be traveling in a rental car at the end of September so it could be a little ways off the main route in either Norway or Sweden.

more
    • Alesund to Andalsnes by bus

Ålesund Feb 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

What is the one way fare for t he 681 bus from Alesund to Andalsnes? Any other info would be appreciated!

more
    • Ryanmclean97's Profile Photo

2 Days in Oslo?

Oslo Feb 11, 2015 at 4:55 AM

Hello,

I am heading to Oslo for just under 2 days. Leaving tomorrow and I would like to know your suggestions on things to do, We're looking for mostly free things to do, but open to some paying attractions. We have done our research but would just like to hear some other peoples input. Also what is your best restaurant suggestions? We like Italian, Indian whatever really but would be nice if their waiters/waitresses spoke English.

Thanks,
      Ryan

more
    • What do Norwegians (specifically, northern areas) wear during the winter ~ spring?

Norway Jan 31, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Hi!
      I'm trying to plan a trip through Scandinavia when I graduate, and Norway seems to be posing a bit of an issue for me ...

So I finish university December 2016 and was thinking of departing America maybe mid-March and staying in Europe until mid-May. My thought is for 2 months to go around, a little earlier or later isn't really that much of an issue for me, but most importantly, I really want to see the northern lights, and hopefully also manage my way to Lofoten, Svalbard, the mountains??. I know it'll definitely still be cold around this time in Norway (and definitely Svalbard) and was wondering what kind of clothing the average Norwegian wears?

Down? Cashmere? Goose down? Wool? Lots of layers? Specific brands?
      I'm located in the NY area so the average winter jacket is ok, but I with my hopes to trek about ... and I was hoping to live in the mountains a few days but I realise that with the weather I'll be encountering, it may not be the best idea ...

Maybe this is also a little off the mark, but are there specific times (month, time of the month) that gives the best chance to view northern lights? I heard something like too much snow is dense or something sorry I don't know know the science behind it, but it affects its appearance somehow?
      Places? I read all over Norway it's viewable, but best chances? Most nights? Norway is so expensive that I highly doubt I'll be able to spend many days just relaxing about, especially since I want to financially provide for everything.

I'm also very in love with polar bears (or ice bears, as I know Norwegians call them) in Norway/Svalbard and was wondering how early out in the year should I plan on leaving for Europe for highest chance of seeing them? I'm not sure if I want to go on one of those 10-day cruises (pricey) specifically to seek them out, I'd just like to roam around and see them to their thing, polar bearing around. I read people never see polar bears in the summertime on those cruises, so I assume I need to go when it's still relatively cold? This is a different region, but hopefully someone might know? If not, I'll make another post int he Svalbard section a little later.

Thank you so much for reading, and hopefully spending time to answer my many questions,
      Jessica

more
    • Paying for things?

Tromsø Jan 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Hi .. Off to Tromso on the 6th Feb. My hols normally consist of euros loaded on a T. Cook card so please excuse my ignorance! Can anyone please advise as to what is the best and cheapest way to pay for things out there? Cash, Visa Debit card, Credit card, etc. Thank you.

more