Viña del Mar Travel Answers

change location

Chile in August

by Kimlocq Online Now Jan 17, 2005 at 3:13 PM

What's the weather like in August? Is it rainy? Clothing wise, what do you suggest to bring? Thanks, Kim

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: Chile in August

by robine Online Now Jan 17, 2005 at 3:23 PM

It's spring, and normally pleasant, but worth taking an umbrella. Check one of the many weather sites for detailed info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • camilo74's Profile Photo

Re: Chile in August

by camilo74 Online Now Jan 18, 2005 at 4:22 AM

mmm, sorry robine but i wouldn't agree much , August is winter and it is very rainy in central and south chile , rains usually stop in middle september when spring starts. So you should definitely take an unbrella and a coat

• Re: Chile in August

by donronsantiago Online Now Jan 18, 2005 at 11:53 AM

I'll agree with camilo74 here, August is still winter, although the tail end of it. It is cold to cool and as usual very damp. Cloudy and overcast is usually the rule not the exception. Having said that it's nothing like the winters I spent back (up) in New York, but the dampness makes the cold feel colder...for want of a better explanation. I would bring spring clothes with a heavier coat thrown in, a hat or two and a scarf of some sort. Ron D Santiago

• robine's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Chile in August

by robine Online Now Jan 18, 2005 at 3:12 PM

Remember that Vina has a much milder climate than Santiago. I first arrived in Chile a few years ago (from Rio) to spend an initial month in Vina, brushing up my Spanish, from late August: maybe we were lucky, but the weather was mild and pleasant throughout. But still remember the umbrella! (When we went to the capital we were greeted by unseasonal snow!)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines