Vilnius Travel Answers

change location

Direct International Bus Route between Nida and Riga; Kaunas and Riga

by Kuniko Online Now Jul 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Hi,
I'm thinking about traveling Vilnius - Kaunas - Nida - Riga as a straight route, staying overnight in Kaunas and taking a 7:35 bus to Nida next morning( ...by the way this is the only bus available to Nida/arriving at 11:45, on 27th August at http://www.118.lt/Pages/Transport/). I might spend a half day or so in Nida and leave for Riga to arrive by the evening of the day.

The problem is that I cannot find any direct bus to go to Riga from Nida. Is there no direct international bus line between these two cities as well as Kaunas and Riga? I have searched all possible websites I could think of for the routes but in vain.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you so much in advance.
knk

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Direct International Bus Route between Nida and Riga; Kaunas and Riga

by brrr Online Now Jul 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM

"...The problem is that I cannot find any direct bus to go to Riga from Nida..."

There is no direct bus Nida-Riga. Nida is in peninsula, you need to take a ferry in Klaipeda to get in there. And to get back from the peninsula to Klaipeda. That bus probably also must be transfered to the peninsula by ferry, i even didn't hear about such route. You better don't bother so much about this, just take any bus to Klaipeda, then take the ferry to Smiltyne (1st village on the peninsula), it would take some 10 mins, and here is a schedule of the buses Smiltyne-Nida:
    7.15 (on workdays only), 8.15, 9.15, 10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 13.15, 14.15, 15.15,
    16.15, 17.15, 18.15, 19.15, 20.15, 21.15, 22.15.
    And Nida-Smiltyne:
    6.10 (on workdays only), 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.05,
    15.00, 16.00, 17.00, 18.00, 19.00, 20.00, 21.00.

There is a daily bus Klaipeda-Riga at 8:35 (a.m.).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • yumyum's Profile Photo

Re: Direct International Bus Route between Nida and Riga; Kaunas and Riga

by yumyum Online Now Jul 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM

As far as I remember there was never a direct bus between Nida and Riga. I've visited Nida several times over the years and you could take a bus Nida to Smiltyne (at least once an hour), then take the ferry to Klaipeda which only takes a few minutes. From Klaipeda there is a bus to Liepaja in Latvia and from there there are buses to Riga.

Please note that Nida is a small town close to the Russian border and is situated in nature reserve thus there are not many long distance buses.

by Kuniko Online Now Jul 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Hi there,
    First, Many thanks to all of those who have provided me with a lot of valuable information.
    Second, in order to make my itinerary feasible, I will need further information on the following.
    I'm planning to visit Nida on the way to Riga from Kaunas.
    My itinerary is: Kaunas →①bus→ Klaipeda →②ferry→ Smiltyne →③bus→ Nida
    Nida →④bus→ Smiltyne →⑤ferry→ Klaipeda →⑤bus→ Riga
    So, my questions are
    1.Jonellis mentioned, "Bus from Kaunas usually stops in Klaipeda and then goes over ferry to the peninsula to Nida."... Does this bus go direct from Kaunas to Nida with the passengers just staying in a bus all th e way to Nida? How do I know a detailed timetable:for the bus? Is website information possible?

2. I want to know a timeschedule for the bus between Kaunas and Klaipeda;
    and for the ferry between Klaipeda and Smiltyne. If possible, website address is also preferable.(Thanks to brrr bus from/to Smiltyne-Nida has been fixed.)

3. The above trip is to be made in a single day. Is this feasible?

4. I have to carry my large suitcase with me all the way to Riga till I arrive at a hotel the end of the day. I wonder if all of the above transport involved in this trip between Kaunas and Riga could accept my luggage on board. Because of the size of the bus/ferry I may not get in with big luggage. Otherwise I must give up visiting Nida and heading directly to Riga from Kaunas instead.

Thank you very much for all the advice.
    knk

by Kuniko Online Now Jul 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Hi there,
    First, Many thanks to all of those who have provided me with a lot of valuable information.
    Second, in order to make my itinerary feasible, I will need further information on the following.
    I'm planning to visit Nida on the way to Riga from Kaunas. My itinerary is:
    Kaunas -bus- Klaipeda -ferry- Smiltyne -bus- Nida
    Nida -bus- Smiltyne -ferry- Klaipeda -bus- Riga
    So, my questions are
    1.Jonellis mentioned, "Bus from Kaunas usually stops in Klaipeda and then goes over ferry to the peninsula to Nida."... Does this bus go direct from Kaunas to Nida with the passengers just staying in a bus all the way to Nida? How do I know a detailed timetable for the bus? Is website information possible?

2. I want to know a time schedule for the bus between Kaunas and Klaipeda; and for the ferry between Klaipeda and Smiltyne. If possible, website address is also preferable. (Thanks to brrr bus from/to Smiltyne-Nida has been fixed.)

3. The above trip is to be made in a single day. Is this feasible?

4. I have to carry my large suitcase with me all the way to Riga till I arrive at a hotel the end of the day. I wonder if all of the above transport involved in this trip between Kaunas and Riga could accept my luggage on board. Because of the size of the bus/ferry I may not get in with big luggage. Otherwise I must give up visiting Nida and heading directly to Riga from Kaunas instead.

Thank you very much for all the advice.
    knk

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Re: Direct International Bus Route between Nida and Riga; Kaunas and Riga

by yumyum Online Now Jul 10, 2009 at 2:33 PM

You should check in Klaipeda bus station whether there is a left luggage. If not, there may be one in the railway station just a few meters down the road. You wouldn't want to lugg your suitcase across the town of Klaipeda to the ferry.

If in Kaunas you find a bus on the timetable that goes to Nida then you should take that one as that way there is no need to drag the luggage around and you can ask at the ticket counter in Nida whether you can leave it there when you go sightseeing on the big sanddune.

I think your programm for one day is extremely ambigious.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vilnius