Vilnius Travel Answers

change location

Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by WittyName32 Online Now May 31, 2004 at 1:17 AM

I'm coming to the Baltics at the end of June, start of July, and I'm trying to decide how long I should stay in Riga , Tallinn and Vilnius. Which do you prefer? I have eight days to split between the three, and I'm currently leaning towards two days in Tallinn, three in Riga and four in Vilnius. I'm sure I can't go wrong, but maybe there's something I don't know. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
29 Answers
  • Redule's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by Redule Online Now May 31, 2004 at 5:23 AM

micheltarta is right, go to Bauska instead of Vilnius!!!:))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by WittyName32 Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 11:58 PM

You must be telling the truth, if you say Bauska over your home city. Thanks everyone!

• satara's Profile Photo

by satara Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 12:07 AM

I don't think Vilnius is so boring as you say, I liked exploring it's old town and discovering little peaceful streets and great sights, though I prefer Kaunas as it's the place i know better.. Good travels:)

• HS1809's Profile Photo

by HS1809 Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 12:38 AM

People in Vilnius and Lithuania are generally more friendly then in Latvia and Estonia. And if you go to Vilnius you MUST also visit beautiful castle in Trakai which is about 20 kms from Vilnius.

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 1:05 AM

Actually Bauska is 5 min worth visit, at any case you will pass it going from Vilnius to Riga. Unless you would like to visit Rundale castle that is not far from Bauska. http://www.rpm.apollo.lv/engl/

• flyingkiwi's Profile Photo

by flyingkiwi Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 1:59 AM

I had a great time in Vilnius and met some interesting people there so I certainly didn't think it was boring. I guess it's all about who you meet and the adventures you have there! Tallinn is also nice. Fk

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 2:49 AM

Micheltarta has very dilettante view. It seems he saw only Jugensthil in Riga and pink rococo of Vilnius. Wittyname, don’t listen to us, judge by yourself: http://www.vilnius.lt/new/en/gidas.php http://www.turizmas.vilnius.lt/ riga.lv/EN/Channels/About_Ri... tourism.tallinn.ee/index.uk.... tallinn.ee/eng?sess_admin=46...

• deputydog's Profile Photo

Re: Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by deputydog Online Now Jun 2, 2004 at 12:14 PM

I strongly agree with the sentiment expressed by a few others in response to your question. Experienced for the first time, the value of time spent in any of these places depends mostly upon your attitude towards travel and the company you keep. I've spent time in Vilnius, Kaunas, Druskininkai, Traikai, and Siauliai; cities and towns quite different in size and pace but for me equally enjoyable. I always stayed with friends and I imagine that if you're travelling solo you may lean towards some place with a more cosmopolitan atmosphere but most Lithuanians were so friendly to me I had no trouble meeting people and having a good time no matter how "boring" the place. Viso Gero

• jokubasmagnus's Profile Photo

by jokubasmagnus Online Now Jun 6, 2004 at 4:49 AM

Don't listen to them! Tallinn has a very small Old Town and you can easily see all the sights in two days. Riga is, in some parts, a really ugly city. The Old Town is nice [but small] and outside, there are a few interesting Art Nouveau buildings but apart from that it's all quite industrial and frankly rather grim. Vilnius is by far the most interesting of the three. It has the biggest Old Town and also there are several sites within a short journey from Vilnius that you also ought to visit, like Trakai and Kaunas. The same can't be said of Riga and Tallinn. It's certainly true that Vilnius isn't as cosmopolitan as Riga, or as modern as Tallinn...but frankly, if you're looking for cosmopolitanism and abundance of technology, then you'd be better off going to New York or Tokyo than Riga. Also, I agree with the sentiments expressed that the people in Vilnius are far more friendly than those in either Riga or Tallinn. If you try to make friends in Tallinn, people will look at you as if you've tried to poo in their hair, and if you try to make friends in Riga, some will try to steal your wallet. There are of course exceptions to the rules -- I've met a few nice Latvians [though they were mostly Russians], and a few friendly Estonians [though it was some time before I felt they were comfortable with me using their first names], but the friends I made in Vilnius were some of the nicest people I know. Furthermore, the history of Vilnius is much more varied. It is not just a German city like Riga or Tallinn, but was founded by Lithuanian Dukes and has had many diverse cultural influences since then. However, this is just my view and I hope that nobody takes offence to it.

by jokubasmagnus Online Now Jun 6, 2004 at 2:17 PM

Of course you do Michel...but then again, you prefer the gaudiness of Jugenstil over the sublime Baroque. That's just wrong.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

by matcrazy1 Online Now Jun 6, 2004 at 3:33 PM

Hello, Very interesting discussion. Well, I was in the 3 cities (driving by car) a month ago. So, a few words: The reply depends on what you are looking for, your interests in other words. Vilnius - for lovers of history, old (mainly Baroque) architecture, old churches, hidden yards, not crowded streets, inexpensive and mostly good food, for lovers of things somewhat secret, unique (add nearby Trakai) - well if you love history even a week is not enough (over 40 churches to visit if you like haha); for lovers of making friends, the most friendly locals (even beggars) I met in the Baltics; Riga - interesting old town but not as much as in Vilnius, great for lovers of international company, crowded streets full of souvenir stores, restaurants etc., more expensive food, and definetely not for lovers of driving a car (tourist trap - Soviet style direction signs = no signs or wrong signs! - I drove almost to Russia instead to Estonia haha, add risk of car thefts) Tallin - great location (steep way up), lovely old town and very picterusque up, for lovers of food and drinking alcohol with Finnish youths, crowded as well, more expensive at some places. Summary: personally I would split my time as you suggested at first: Tallin - 2 Riga - 3 Vilnius - 4 (including trip to Trakai). Have a great trip :-)))

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 8, 2004 at 7:06 AM

you are so persistent:)...

• DanielF's Profile Photo

by DanielF Online Now Jun 8, 2004 at 7:37 AM

I also agree with the majority here in that your original schedule is fine. Leaving apart taste matters, which are something totally subjective, Vilnius has the largest historical area of the three and requires thus more time for exploration, including the additional time required for excursions out of the city. As for my personal experience, I also preferred Vilnius to the other two cities. We thought the atmosphere there was much more pleasant, the nightlife much more exciting, and the people were by very, very, very, very far the friendliest. But that was just as we saw and experienced it. Anyway, I agree with Redule. If you find Vilnius boring, go to Bauska or Cesis (or even Tartu) instead ;-).

by jokubasmagnus Online Now Jun 8, 2004 at 2:58 PM

How very diplomatic, Daniel!

by v_tour Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 6:13 AM

It depends from your taste. Some people prefer Riga over Vilnius and some prefer Vilnius over Riga... Riga feels like a bigger city than Vilnius and it has a nice big river Dauguva (I don't know if I spelled it correctly). Riga is also famous for its beautiful art noveu architecture. Vilnius is quite different - its landscape is hilly (Rigas' landscape is plain), it's oldtown is quite big. I don't know when micheltatra was in Vilnius but this city is changing very fast (Tallinn and Riga are changing fast too) and many buildings in the old town are being restored. Although I think that maybe the center of Riga looks more "shiny" today. Some sentences of micheltatra sounds really strange like this one: "Vilnius is not a large and cosmolopolitan capital as Riga and Tallinn". Actually Tallinn is the smallest one out of the three. I talked a bit about Vilnius and Riga - now it's time for Tallinn. Tallinn has a nicely restored old town with beautiful defence walls and defence towers and lots of finnish tourists ;). That's it with my short overview of the Baltic capitals ;). I suggest at first to visit these three cities and next time you'll know which ones do you prefer :).

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 11:51 PM

excuse me, micheltarta, but Latvian Russians are less satisfied living in Latvia than Lithuanian Russians living in Lithuania (it's official research, not yours). Vilnius people don't have problems speaking Russian, while Estonians usually pretend they don't understand Russian. Your opinion is so absurd, you don't know anything about Vilnius and the most important-you are not open. If you like Riga, please praise it, I also like Riga. and leave your opinion about Vilnius for yourself. You should also know that Lithuanians are not friendly to everyone, especially if somebody comes with such prejudice.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

by DanielF Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 12:32 AM

As Redule says, it is fact that Lithuania is the less russophobe of the three Baltic Republics. If you hear more Russian in Riga than in Vilnius, it is simply because roughly half of the population of Riga are Russians, while they are a small minority in Vilnius. However, the Russian "minority" in Latvia has had it hard to see some of its rights recognised and they are still second class citizens in many aspects. In addition, all Lithuanians I know are able to speak perfect Russian and even eager to do it. I do not think that is always the case in the other two republics, Estonia in particular.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

by pedersdottir Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 1:00 AM

Hello all: Since the poster seems to be coming from the USA, it's a moot point to be discussing who speaks Russian in the three Baltic Republics! In any case, it's off topic, since he asked about recommended length of stay. Impartially, I would suggest that the first answer and Matt's answer (VT member Mattcrazy) are most to the point. Enjoy your visit, while you compare and contrast three unique cities!

• Re: Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by WittyName32 Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 2:54 AM

Well, I'm leaving for St. Petersburg on Friday, and after two weeks there, I'll be heading down through the Baltics. After all of this appreciated feedback, I can truly say this: I'm still not sure. I suppose I'll just have to think on the run. But again, thanks for all the insight. I'll be using your advice while coming through on my trip.

by jokubasmagnus Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 5:03 AM

Yes Michel Russian culture is very interesting, but you're not likely to find very much of this "High Culture" in the slums of Riga.

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 5:45 AM

been twice to Vilnius, really great knowledge

• Redule's Profile Photo

by Redule Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 6:22 AM

yes, I believe

by v_tour Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 12:44 AM

micheltatra, I was talking about this false sentence (not about is city cosmopolitan or not): "Vilnius is not a large ... capital as Riga and Tallinn". People are going to Latvia to learn more about Latvia and Latvian culture (not about Russian culture) - the same is for the other countries. If they want to learn/feel Russian culture usually they go to Russia. If we are talking about the buildings which were left in the Baltic states by Russian culture - then almost all of them are ugly (most of the buildings left by Russians are ugly "commieblocks" in the suburbs of the cities (not only)). Today some of Russian buildings are being destroyed in Latvia (and maybe in other cities of the Baltic states too). Now lets go back to the "grey churches" - there are just a few of them in Vilnius (actually there are no fully grey churches). The cathedral church is mostly white and only small part of it is pink. There are many churches of a various colors. And about this sentence: "you can even find pretty the cathedral that I personnaly find ugly". I must say that most of the people find it beautiful and your taste seems exceptional here.

by v_tour Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 12:45 AM

.....About "multicultural" cities. Riga roughly consists of Russians and Latvians. Vilnius roughly consists of Lithuanian, Polish and Russian people. About internet cafes - at the center of the city there are not many of them but at the city center there are wireless internet zones and 3G zones. The words addressed to Redule: "I'm afraid you have a quite partial jugement about this country, being maybe impressed by some patriotic and nationalist feelings." You was in Vilnius one or two times and you claim that you have a full judgement about the Lithuania and Vilnius? While those who lives there for quite a long time has only "partial judgement"? Strange... About those patriotic and nationalistic feelings - actually I feel it from your side (Russians). You sound quite childish - the main point for you is that the city is better because it is less catholic and has more Russians. And one more thing - Latvians (not Russians who live in Latvia) and Estonians aren't really fond of Russian language - sometimes they pretend that they don't understand this language. I'm not saying that you can't dislike Vilnius - it's your choise but please don't write false facts or else we'll start to think that something bad happened to you in Vilnius or maybe for some other reason you want to throw mud.

by v_tour Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 1:37 AM

micheltatra, I have never said that you said that "nobody can like Vilnius". I also said that everything depends from your choise and your taste. And I respect your taste and opinion. And you can state your opinion but just opinion - not false facts. By the way to live in Vilnius does not certainly mean to have "patriotic or so feelings". But it certainly means that the one who lives for a longer time in Vilnius knows more about the city than the one who just visited it. I visited three Baltic capitals many times and I live in Vilnius but I don't say that it's the best out of the three. My short opinion about all three cities was posted before.

by jokubasmagnus Online Now Jun 13, 2004 at 5:27 AM

Michel, I am a British citizen with no Lithuanian heritage or relatives, so I don't think my judgement is clouded by any "patriotic feeling". Your arguments are incredibly strange and for the most part, just plain wrong. Vilnius is by far the most multicultural city of the three. The city is roughly half Lithuanians, and the further half is made up of Russians, Belarussians and Poles. Riga is just under a half Latvians, and the rest Russians. This doesn't create for a "multicultural" atmosphere, more one of ethnic tension. You also quote the example of "Wooden Housing", and act like this is not to be found in Vilnius....have you ever been to Snipiskes?! You're fighting a losing battle here Michel. Your arguments here seem to be based on prejudice. Even if you do like to spend time amongst the Russians, I have Russian friends who have been to Riga and said that the "Russians" there are the equivalent of Afrikaners for Dutch people, id est they have a colonist mentality and are usually quite racist. There are always exceptions to this rule, and there are plenty of nice Russian and Latvian people in Riga, but the truth is that an atmosphere of deeply unpleasant racial dislike prevails throughout this city,

• RE: RE: Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius?

by kankel Online Now May 9, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Well this is odd.

micheltatra dislikes Vilnius SOOO much and for some reason he/she (sorry, haven't checked) keeps returning and returning and returning to Vilnius forum..

This tells something, I think.

• AntoniOslo's Profile Photo

by AntoniOslo Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I know this is extremely old topic but I would like to leave my opinion here as it is possible the most visible link while searching for "Tallinn, Riga or Vilnius" in Google. So, I had a chance to visit all three Baltic States capitals more than a month ago with my family. I stayed two days in Tallinn, two in Riga and four in Vilnius. Here is my opinion on each:

1. I'm from Oslo, Norway, so, not surprisingly, I started with Tallinn. I booked room in Oru Hotell close to the sea. It was a peaceful atmosphere, close to huge Palace with impressive park, however it was quite far away from the Old Town. The tram system seemed to be too complicated for tourists, so I had to walk to the city center on foot every day (like ~20-30 minutes), however it was exciting to walk on sea-side track and explore some huge monuments near the sea. When I entered Old Town for the first time, I was a little bit shocked. Near the old, medieval gates (possibly most important ones) there was a building with large "McDonald's" sign so it really let me down at first, however the rest of the Old Town was nice and I had a chance to capture a few really great panorama pictures from the top of the hill inside the Old Town. I also liked to have a lunch in one of the Town Hall square restaurants. Not surprisingly, prices wasn't the smallest there, however I purely understood that I was paying more for the place than for the food/drinks, so everything was OK. If you want to have a lunch or a cold beer glass, go a little bit further from the Town Hall and the prices will crash dramatically (like twice or sth). I explored all the Old Town in one day and spend second day for just chilling in the most enjoyed places, so the Old Town is really small and easy to navigate even for tourists, all of the shops/restaurants workers are able to communicate in english, however they seemed to be anti-russian many times as I saw a few citizens standing in the Old Town with signs "RUSSIA - OCCUPANTS COUNTRY". What I really found out the most horrifying in Tallin happened when we were returning to our hotel during second day evening. We had a dinner in one of the restaurants in the Old Town and left it like ~23 hour, so it was completely dark outside. When we were walking in one of the old town streets and searching for a Taxi, we noticed like 20-30 people group with white clothes and torches, who seemed to be sectarians or something similar to that. That wasn't the best experience for our children, who were really frightened. Most of souvenir shops were also disappointing as they were selling cheap "Made in China" things, however there is a few shops with expensive handcrafted souvenirs, so we decided to purchase our trip souvenirs there.

2. Later we moved to Riga. It was completely urban, chaotic city. On the streets there was trolleybuses, trams, buses, a lot of cars and under the ground there was metro. Really terrible driving experience as all the streets were so chaotic, full of cars and citizens. Near most of the streets there was huge mountain-size buildings and almost no trees... The Old Town seemed to be larger than Tallinn, some of the buildings were looking spectacular but prices at the Old Town were even higher than in Tallinn. About half of Riga population is Russians due to previous Soviets russification policy, so it was hard at times to even find Latvians and listen to their language, which was funny at times. :-)

3. And then... We went to Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, and we ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. We heard about impressive Kempinski Hotel (one of the best hotels in Europe) near spectacular Vilnius Cathedral (which looks similar to Ancient Greek temples), so, not surprisingly, we decided to stay there. Prices were high, but what do you have to expect from a 5-star hotel with all the facilities in the city center? It was reasonable for a top-class experience. On our first day we explored the Old Town, which was impressive and similar to Rome. When we climbed to Gediminas Tower, the panorama of the Old Town was truly magnificent. Vilnius is situated into two parts: Old Town and on the other side there is modern one with skyscrapers, large supermarkets and so on. Vilnius has a lot of various impressively looking churches, which are like cherry on the cake while observing the Old Town panorama. During our second day we visited Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (the most important building in Medieval Lithuania). The building haven't looked so huge, but we spent like 3-3.5 hours in it and we haven't noticed that because it was really interesting. It has a lot of stands about LDK and Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth history in English language, a lot of various archaeological finds and so on. Sadly, there isn't so many golden treasures like in UK or France Palaces due to Russians occupation who stole most of it. We were really tired after trip to the Palace so when we exited it we decided to sit in front of the spectacular Cathedral. The city seemed to be so alive with all the skateboarders, BMXers near Cathedral and so on. Entering cathedral is a must as it is not less impressive inside. As in other capitals, we had lunches and dinners in restaurants and surprisingly the prices were the lowest in Vilnius, compared to Tallinn and Riga. During third day we had a trip to Trakai (medieval village like 20-30 kilometers from Vilnius). It has a spectacular medieval castle (which is missing in Vilnius, on the top of Gediminas Hill). There is a lot of restaurants offering kibinai with various ingredients. After exploring the Castle and eating some of these kibinai we decided to take water bicycles and swim in the lake around the castle. It was really unique experience. :-) What let me down there was the street vendors who were selling Soviet attribution (clothes, hats, knifes...). Soviets destroyed this historical country so much, so why sell that spam in notable places like Trakai? Government really should do something with that... We spent our last day in Vilnius by searching for souvenirs and just relaxing after this consumptive three capitals trip. We visited Gate of Dawn and restaurants in the Old Town.

CONCLUSION: I enjoyed being in Tallinn and Riga, but Vilnius was far greater. First of all, the roads wasn't chaotic (only cars, trolleybuses and buses) And after all, being near that huge cathedral and Palace is something magical as so many things happened in this place previously. Lithuania was one of the strongest medieval countries, the only to survive until 18th century so it really has rich and glorious history, compared to Latvia and Estonia which were occupied by Orders. It's a pity that Russians vanished most of the medieval gates (only Gate of Dawn and small wall fragments remained) and other LDK related objects, like Palace of the Grand Dukes and Gediminas Castle in order to destroy citizens patriotism. Royal Palace is almost completely rebuilt, but only one tower remained from upper-castle. I hope Lithuanians are planning to rebuild it either. It's a pity that I haven't had a chance to explore other important Lithuania cities like Kaunas and Klaipeda/Memel, but maybe some day later... I really recommend chosing Vilnius as the main trip destination. :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 6:56 AM

This is a very old thread indeed, from 2006, and I'm afraid your googling has given you entirely the wrong impression of VT.

By restricting your search to just 'Tallinn, Riga or Vilnius' I fear you have missed all the excellent, up-to-date and valuable information VT has about those locations.

There are lots of much more recent and very informative posts about all three cities on their respective VT travel forums:

Tallinn Travel Forum

Riga Travel Forum

Vilnius Travel Forum

and a huge amount of recent information pages and tips about what to see/do, where to stay etc etc (all written by VT locals and visitors, including myself) on the Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius VT travel guides:

Tallinn Travel Guide

Riga Travel Guide

Vilnius Travel Guide

I could easily disagree with many of your opinions but this thread is not the place to do so.

Perhaps you would like to write Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius VT pages of your own, giving information and tips to help other travellers? It is very easy to do. Feel free to contact me for help with this if you need it: just click my username and then the 'send message' link under the smaller photo to the right of my profile page.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vilnius