Villefranche-de-Conflent Travel Answers

change location

train jaune

by alexandra.binnie Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

i will be in France end of March 2013 and would like to take the yellow train. how do i do this and will it be open?Thamks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: train jaune

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I have always wanted to do that! great idea! Yes, it is running, I found the schedule on tourisme-pyreneesorientales.... - Even if you don't know French, the schedule is obvious, and of course there is always the curious translate.google. I did see a number of articles in English, too, just put in le petit train jaune - and enjoy it!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: train jaune

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Here's a web site in English that explains the booking process. It's actually run by the French railway system, SNCF. about-france.com/tourism/yel...

Enjoy.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Yes, it's a TER - hmmm...I wonder if you need to book ahead of time? It is the end of March but it is Easter Week also....Well, I can only repeat the beloved VT refrain: book in French, not English, or you will pay through the nose! (and where did that expression come from?)

by micolett Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I did it two weeks ago and it was a very nice trip, starting from a grey and overcast Villefranche and going up, along twisting and slow (very slow!) tracks into the snowy, bright and sunny mountains. The train, being a "normal" local train, runs all year round at least twice a day in winter (snowplough very useful in this season...)
    If you can go before march 17th, you can travel as much as you want on the line at a cheap, flat fare of 10,20€ only, "winter-special"
    But do go on a nice day. And dress warmly to take advatage of the open corridors for pictures opportunity. There will probably be a bit of snow left.

by micolett Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Forgot to say, no booking necessary, but weekends can be slightly more busy.

• gwened's Profile Photo

Re: train jaune

by gwened Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:26 AM

yes agree booking is not needed but if the orig poster can do it much better for the period.
    and all train is SNCF one way or another here lol!! some private efforts but its all in agreement with SNCF (gov entreprise). I have not done this train ride but it looks nice;Enjoy it

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Villefranche-de-Conflent