Villars-sur-Ollon Travel Answers

change location

Train travel from Villars sur Ollon to Bex.....need help on planning.

by madhavdivya Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Our family is reaching Villars on the 9th of May 2011, as part of our Europe tour package. Most of the tour is by coach and my son (6 years) is fond of trains and we have entire day of 9th of May to ourselves to explore. I wish to take my family from Villars sur Ollon to Bex by train and take the salt mine train ride and then return back to Villars by train.

This being our first visit to Europe, I seek the guidance and how to make the trip a memorable one.

How does the ticketting work? Can we buy a one time round ticket (Villars - Bex - Villars) for the entire family (4 persons) at Villars railway station ? Do we have various classes of travel - first class, second class etc., where the price of ticket of first class is more than that of second class. What is a swiss pass ? Which ticket would be economical ? What should be the cost of the ticket ? Do we have McDonald's at Bex railway station ?

I would appreciate and thank for the replies and look forward to your responses.

Madhav
madhavdivya@gmail.com

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Train travel from Villars sur Ollon to Bex.....need help on planning.

by K_V_B Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Ticketing is quite simple: As with almost any train you go to a station, buy a ticket (in your case a return) for everyone in the group, and then take the train... The Villars - Bex train is only second classe, and it's a narrow gauge railway. Trains run at least once each hour, you can't reserve seats.
    As is common in Switzerland your ticket is valid for the route, you are free to take any train on it, and even get of on the way, and get on again.

A Swiss pass would be a bit overkill. That is a pass valid on all public transport in Switzerland, and its purchase only makes sense if you are going to travel all over the country.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Villars-sur-Ollon