Villafranca di Verona Travel Answers

change location
geismom's Profile Photo

Roman Catholic Church services

by geismom Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 10:42 AM

We will be traveling to Villafranca de Verona at the end of June and we are scheduled to stay at the Hotel Antares.
Can anyone tell me if there is a Roman Catholic Church in the city of Villafranca di Verona, where we can attend Sunday morning Mass?
And, if there is one, how far it would be from Hotel Antares, and what time would Mass be?
Thank you so much in advance.
Barbara

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Roman Catholic Church services

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Well, I can't tell exactly where your hotel is, since the directions on their website are not terribly clear...but it's not in the center of town...see hotelantares.com/eng/contact... . My mapping software doesn't show the hotel's address...

It would be strange to have an Italian town of any size without one or more Catholic Churches, and Villafranca di Verona is no exception. In fact, most of the smaller towns around it also have their own churches.

Look at diocesiverona.it/cnt/cmm/cmm... . This is in Italian, but the layout is simple. This is a listing from the diocesan website for the summer hours for Sundays for the churches in the area of Villafranca di Verona (well, I picked on 7:00 a.m. to noon). Note that most of these churches are not in Villafranca itself - names like "Alpo" are actually small towns nearby (but none of them are very far away). Since I am not exactly sure where your hotel is, I can't tell if one of these towns might actually be closer than one of the churches (like "Madonna del Popolo") in Villafranca itself.

As you can see, there are lots of masses in the general area. I suggest that you contact the hotel and ask them what the closest church is...but, really, if you have a car, you shouldn't have any problem arranging something once you are there...

Note that the "Villafranca" at the bottom of the list appears to be non parish locations with masses...for example "Cappella Ospedale" is the hospital chapel, and there must be a Cappuccin monastery or institution there as well.

Oh, I think I found your hotel...there is a Viale Postumia (odd, you would think that the hotel would know that it's "viale" and not "via") that runs northeast of town towards the airport. This location (if I have this correct) is 3 kilometers northeast of Villafranca city center (i.e., not far). Also, it's actually closer to Caluri, which is listed on that table of Masses (Masses at 8 and 10 a.m.). In any case, like I said, you should be able to make arrangements easily once you're there...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • geismom's Profile Photo

by geismom Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Wow! Thanks for that information.
    I took some time to look through the site that you sent to me. You are quite correct about our hotel location. It is much closer to Caluri.
    There was one page on that site that actually showed photographs of the churches in each town. There is no church name associated with Caluri, but a photo does exist.
    In Villafranca di Verona, the Catholic Church appears to be SS. Peter and Paul.
    We will not have a car, as we are traveling with a youth orchestra music program as they tour several towns in Italy, but, our feet work quite well (thank God!), so we should be able to walk to the church in the town of Caluri.
    Hopefully, someone in the hotel will be able to direct us.
    Thanks so much for all of the super information.
    I'm very new to this site, and I am glad that I asked the question!
    Barbara

• geismom's Profile Photo

by geismom Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Actually, I just went on a website for Masstimes, and I was able to find the name of the church in Caluri: Saint Anthony of Padova. There are actually no Mass times listed, but I feel much more comfortable having the name of a church.
    Thanks again!
    Barbara

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Villafranca di Verona