Villach Travel Answers

change location

Travel from Venice, Italy to Villach

by loismcginnis Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

We are taking a cruise ending in Venice on June 3/12. We want to pick up a rental car in Villach to go to Vienna. Are there any tours or hired cars that can pick us up at the cruise site to take us to Villach?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Travel from Venice, Italy to Villach

by leics Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM

i am sure there are private transfer firms although I can recommend none personally. They will not be cheap, of course...it's 250+km and around 3 hours travel. Try googling 'venice villach private transfer'. Here's an example:

foxtransfer.eu/from-venice-a...

An alternative is to take the train (actually a bus) from Venice to Villach. You can find details of this service in English on

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

choose 'Villach Hbf' (hbf = hauptbahnhof = main station).

One-way fare is 25 euro, journey time is about 3 hours. There are several departures per day.

The cruise terminal is a few minutes away from Venice Santa Lucia station (and Piazale Roma, where the bus will be) using the new 'people-mover'.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Travel from Venice, Italy to Villach

by K_V_B Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Actually the "train" from Venice to Villach is a coach. That because, after having invested billions of taxpayer money on rebuilding the Pontebbana the Italian railways continued with their campaign of turning Italy in to an island, and stopped all international day trains on the route...
    The Austrian railways reacted by offering a bus service. Book it at www.oebb.at.

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: Travel from Venice, Italy to Villach

by leics Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Yes, I did make the point in my post that the train in this instance is >actually a bus.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines