Villach Travel Answers

change location

Bus timetable from villach to ljubljana

by mankteln Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Hi i'm looking to get a bus from to villach to ljubljana and was wondering if there was any website available that would allow me to plan the journey in advance. Thanks

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • bekerovka's Profile Photo

Re: Bus timetable from villach to ljubljana

by bekerovka Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hy,
    take a look here: ap-ljubljana.si/eng/vozni_en.... There are all bus lines, timetables and fares. Villach in Slovenian is Beljak.
    I don't know if the bus schedule is good for you between Villach and Ljubljana but there are also a lot of trains: slo-zeleznice.si/en/passenge...
    Ciao, Marco

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bus timetable from villach to ljubljana

by mankteln Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Thanks very much for the help both of you, knowing what the slovenian name for the place is the kind of stuff I really must try to learn before I go. I don't suppose either of you would be able to tell me the name of the main bus/train station in ljubljana as there is about 15 listed on that site. thanks

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM

In Ljubljana there's only one main station and it's called simply : Ljubljana.

So,whenever you will check on-line for timetabels always choose Ljubljana. This is centrally located, both train and bus station are next to each other. Roughly 10 min into centre of centre (the Preseren square if you're familiar).

Just buy the first ticket you get available from bus/train station in Villach. Train is more comfortable, though. Tickets for train are always available, nobody reserves them anyway.

• Venelin's Profile Photo

by Venelin Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Actually I think I can tell you the name of the main bus station, it's called Ljubljana Autobusna postaja in ALL CAPITALS to stand out. It is the first one listed when you only type Ljubljana in the search field. It is located just next to the train station.

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 2:07 AM

As for words in Slovenian: Avtobusna postaja will be bus station - so, avtobusna postaja Ljubljana. Train station will be: zelezniska postaja.

Lots of people can speak english, especially younger and urban population or those working in tourism industry. In countryside situation is little different, but if you need any more information feel free to ask here or post another question.

Hope this helps.

• bekerovka's Profile Photo

by bekerovka Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 2:14 AM

The main railway station name is "Zelezniska postaja Ljubljana" but ir's always called "Ljubljana" only. The others are minor stations.
    In front of the train station there is the main bus station: "Ljubljana avtobusna postaja".
    Ciao, Marco

• GyuriFT's Profile Photo

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 6:17 AM

1) I would be careful regarding buying DIRECT train tickets from Villach to Ljubljana. The Slovenian international tariff as far as Austrians do see it is a very expensive one. The price you pay in Villach for the entire journey is 19.60 Euro.

Regarding the fact, this is a mere 31 kilometer in Austria and 71 kilometers in Yugo... khm, khm, pardon me, Slovenia - that's a rip-off. Typically, all railways like MÁV, SZ, HZ, ZS, MZ use a very expensive international tariff instead of cheap domestic (except if traveling within or between them, that is a completely different picture: Budapest-Ljubljana-Budapest costs the same as Villach-Ljubljana-Villach!)

2) Villach-Jesenice-Lesce Bled-Bled Jezero ROUND-TRIP is only 10 Euro in ÖBB-Slovenia special:

oebb.at/pv/de/Reisen_in_den_...

(So you can get a Jesenice-Bled r/t for free!)

Add Jesenice-Ljubljana domestic ticket part for 5.17 Euro (regular train) or 6.77 Euro (Intercity, international train).

Hence, if you plan Ljubljana as a short round-trip you will pay about 22 Euro for the ENTIRE round-trip.

Otherwise - since you are NOT living in Villach, I guess, you can save a lot by purchasing relation-price international tickets and using Villach or maybe even Ljubljana as a stopover. Such tickets are often the best alternative - but they have to be purchased certain smart way. It's easy to chose a good or bad way...

So how your entire trip looks like?

@Vesna: as for railway station, I would just ask "Zeleznicka stanica" (hope all the characters will come out correctly: železnička stanica u Ljubljane). LOL - but I know, you will kill me for that.

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 7:01 AM

It wouldn't be problem :)
    almost (well, kids maybe not) everybody would understand srpsko-hrvatski and point you into right direction :)

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I know, LOL - most people, even younger ones speak it perfectly. I experienced it while attending the meeting where my ex-boss from BG was talking to his customers in LJ.

Maybe a "sexist" experience - but somehow ladies speak much faster than men, at least for me.
    Took a few times hitchhikers in Serbia and once talked over the phone with an (Albanian) lady in PR. Every time had to ask, "please slow down", my ear is not trained in Serbo-Croatian that well.

And every time they promised to speak slower... just to continue at the speed of Kalashnikov one minute later. But it's OK, gives me a practice.

Also interestingly I can understand the SAME text better if it is written in cyrillic. No idea, why. Maybe because I learned cyrillic earlier in my life (at the age of 4) than the latin letters (at the age of 6).

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Haha, true indeed!

by mankteln Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM

thanks very much for all your help. To be honest i'd say we'll probably just get the direct train or bus to ljubljana (we'd be okay just to pop in to the station and get ticket on the day right?) even though it is a bit dearer. Actually coming into villach on a train from munich in the afternoon, had originally planned to stay the night in villach but haven't been able to find any cheap hostels there so I think we'll probably just jump onto another train or get the bus.

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

>>>Actually coming into villach on a train from munich in the afternoon

Therefore you should buy in Munich the ticket to Ljubljana straight. That saves some change.
    The tickets are valid for a month, unlimited stopovers. Why throw money away?

Compare:

- Munich-Villach is 66.60 Euro
    - Villach-Ljubljana is 19.60 Euro

But:

-Munich - Villach - Ljubljana is 80.60 Euro, not as you would think 86.20 Euro.

Why is that? Because you "cut" the ticket improperly, at a city (Villach) and not at the tariff breakpoint.

This is perfectly fine - and by the way, saves you time, too. Why visit ticket office twice and pay more?

by mankteln Online Now Jul 31, 2010 at 3:08 AM

We've booked europa-spezial tickets so it's 39 euro to villach, would have prefered to book the whole journey in advance but the deutsch-bahn website does not give prices for fares outside austria,germany etc, wanted to have at least some of the journey booked in advance (and at a cheaper fare).

by mankteln Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM

We are coming into villach quite late, I was wondering if the trains and buses etc run in the evening/night?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines