Villach Travel Answers

change location

Villach-Trieste

by dimara Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM

Hi!
Can someone advise on the best way to get to Trieste from Villach? We would be dropping our rental car in Villach and picking one up in Italy. Better suggestions welcome. Our ultimate goal is Rome but the drop off cost (from p/u in Frankfurt to drop off in Rome) was an extra 1300 Euros. Car rental agency gave much better prices for leaving car in Austria or Switzerland and then renting again in Italy. Lugano d/o is also an idea.

Thanks,
Hope weather in your area is better than in Canada this spring.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WStat's Profile Photo

RE: Villach-Trieste

by WStat Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 11:00 PM

Hi,

there is an Euro-City (OEC 31) train leaving Villach from Tuesday to Friday at 10,37 a.m. to Udine, arriving there at 11,57. You connect in Udine to Trieste at 12,07 with the Interregio IR21001, arriving at Trieste at 1,17 p.m
    You must make an advance reservation for the Eurocity - most probably possible at any travel agency, or you can try to do it online at fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.e...

Have a nice trip !

WStat

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • altamiro's Profile Photo

by altamiro Online Now Jun 16, 2005 at 5:21 AM

Would it maybe make sense to go by train from one place to another and only rent a car for daytrips into the countryside? If you want to go from one small town to another, to see countryside etc., and/or if you are 3 persons or more, a car does make sense economically... otherwise not.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Jun 18, 2005 at 10:15 AM

Take the train to Trieste via Ljubljana. Ljubljana is a fascinating city ( see my travel pages ). Inexpensive and very well maintained and comfortable trains.

• RE: Villach-Trieste

by dimara Online Now Jun 19, 2005 at 11:10 PM

I will look into the Euro City train and also into possibly stopping in Ljubljana. Can I get by in English there?

We are a group of 5 traveling so I think we will need to pick up a car again in Italy. However, the children have never been on a train and one trip should be very exciting for them. (Limited public transportation available here in rural Canada.)

Thanks for the great ideas!
    Dimara

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines