Villach Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Villach- any hints?

by Undecided Online Now Jul 29, 2004 at 11:47 AM

Hi all, I've been posted to Villach from September to teach English and am afraid that there'll be nothing to do there. Have read Lonely Planet's description ("nothing much to see") and am a bit nervous. Is Villach worth seeing or will I be travelling to Salzburg for the weekends? Vielen Dank! Una

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Manara's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Villach- any hints?

by Manara Online Now Jul 30, 2004 at 8:36 AM

You don't say how long you will be there. If you have many week-ends to spend there, Salzburg is not the only option, there is also Klagenfurt. And please note that the Italian border is very near. Going to Venice may take less, by train or car, than going to Salzburg.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Moving to Villach- any hints?

by Undecided Online Now Jul 30, 2004 at 1:36 PM

Hi-- thanks for the reply. I'll be there from October 04 to the end of May 05. Just booked my Christmas flights home! Alles Gute! Una

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moving to Villach- any hints?

by travelthrough Online Now Jul 31, 2004 at 3:43 PM

Villach is an industrial town. Better go to Klagenfurt and the lake.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Aug 2, 2004 at 4:57 AM

I hope you like skiing, you will have great opportunities there in winter. About other ways to spend your week-ends, several Italian cities are easy to reach from Villach, for instance Udine is about 150 km away, and connected to Villach by train.

• STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

by STEFZAMM Online Now Aug 27, 2004 at 6:10 AM

Hi , I just came from Villach.. I loved it.. the centre I really liked.. it has all the good shops at very good prices... You'll be in the perfect place for skiing also and if Villach is quiet in the evening you can go to Velden which is only between 30 min and 45 min away from Villach... If in Velden you can take a boat trip and visit Maria Worth one morning.. its a quite village with a cute market, lovely church etc.. In Villach I went on the Gerlitzen mountains too .. which was fun... ! I was staying at the Ebner hotel which was fantastic and during my stay I visited places in Italy, Slovenia and obviously Austria... therefore good thing about this place is its on the border to Italy and Slovenia and in as little as 2hrs by car you can be in Italy or Slovenia.. Klagenfurt is another place which I recommend you should visit while in Austria... To be honest I wish I had more time there in Villach.. I loved it... and mind you .. if you love travelling you shall take the opportunity to explore other villach and its surroundings while working there... No need to be nervous if I were you .. I'll be thrilled... Greetings from malta Stefzamm

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Aug 27, 2004 at 8:30 AM

I see you have just started building a new page on Villach, Stephanie. I hope to read something interesting there soon!

• STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moving to Villach- any hints?

by STEFZAMM Online Now Aug 27, 2004 at 3:35 PM

You will... just got the photos.. will soon create some good pages... stef

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines