Villach Travel Answers

change location

villach to venice?

by ruth-t Online Now Jan 16, 2004 at 6:22 PM

i was just wondering if anyone can give me any details of how to plan a day trip from villach austria to venice? we are in villach for 2 weeks in april

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • fabrice's Profile Photo

Re: villach to venice?

by fabrice Online Now Jan 16, 2004 at 7:56 PM

you have direct trains villach-venice

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gelli's Profile Photo

by Gelli Online Now Jan 17, 2004 at 10:54 AM

It's a bit early to plan for april yet as schedules are liable to change. There are direct trains from Villach to Veniezia, but unfortunately, they aren't really that helpful for a day trip. At the moment there's one just before 2pm, but that's no use for a day trip. The only other direct services are night trains through from Vienna to Italy where you can either arrive in Venice at 3.20 am or leave Villach at 4.20am, neither of which is neccessarilly that helpful.... Other than that, you will have to change, sometimes 2 or 3 times, often with long waits and the journey time will be more than double the day time of 2hr 40 - Upto 8hours in cases. This is due to having to take a tortuose route (via Slovenia) - and you still have to get back to Villach. Wait for the new timetables to come out before deciding, but if you aren't prepared for a very early start, Coach may be you best bet (sorry, I can't help with that) or even look into car hire.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Re: Re: villach to venice?

by Martin_S. Online Now Jan 18, 2004 at 2:08 AM

HI and Shalom: If you can take an extra day and drive by way of either Slovenia south to Trieste and then to Venice, or Austria west to Innsbruck and then south through the Dolomites of Italy to Venice. Both beautiful routes. The actual drive from Villach through Slovenia, Trieste and to Vienna, one way should take about 5 hours You could actually take a shorter route (in kilometers) and go OVER the Mt.Triglav between Kranska Gora and Tolmin, a very spectacular route, it will take actually a longer time than going to Ljubljana then west to Trieste, but well worth it. Check it out. Martin

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jan 19, 2004 at 10:48 AM

In Villach there are travel agents who organize trips to Venice. I think they may be enjoyable only if you speak or at least understand German. I don't know exactly which agencies have such trips, there are seven in Villach.

• Re: Re: villach to venice?

by Ronski Online Now Mar 18, 2004 at 12:53 PM

Hi Martin Do you know if there are any campsites in Villach. and if so how I can get in touch with the site. Thanks Ron

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Mar 19, 2004 at 10:49 AM

For a camping in Villach see this webpage: www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en,SCH1/objectId,CPS119691at,curr,EUR,season,at2,selectedEntry,home/home.html

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines