change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 8 night iceland trip some questions

Iceland May 8, 2015 at 3:40 PM

hi all !!

We are a 30 yr old couple going to iceland for a 8 night trip, landing tomorrow night. We rented a 2wd car for the whole period, we want to see the nature sight and incorprate small (few hours) hiking trips. We have not made sleeping arrangments yet.

so i have one general question and one specific one - we have 8 nights for the trip (not including landing night) - generally would you recommend to do the entire ring road or to focus on one area and do it more thoroughly? i would be happy to do the whole route but i dont want to feel that were driving too much of the time.. is 8 nights enough not to rush?

and now for the specific question.. if you do recommend the ring tour - here is a rough plan i made from previous tips and suggestions... do you think it makes sense? any good suggestions or things to change? I made a 7 night plan so we could stay an extra night in case we like someplace but open for other suggestions .. thanks again:

9/5- arrival at night sleep in reykjavik or airport area
      10/5 The golden circle, Kerið crater - sleep in reykjavik/Arborg/Selfoss
      11/5 Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, Skógafoss Waterfall, Hiking Sólheimajökull Glacier, sleep in vik
      12/5 Laufskálavarða, Skaftafell-Hiking Vatnajokull?, Jökulsárlón Iceberg, sleep in Hofn
      13/5 Driving The Coastline, Fossardalur waterfall, Egilsstaðir, Fardagafoss, Ásbyrgi canyon ?? sleep in??
      14/5 Dettifoss waterfall, Myvatn Geothermal Area ( Námafjall Hverir geothermal area), Dimmuborgir lava field, Goðafoss - sleep in akureyri
      15/5 akureyri - whale watching?, Grábrók volcanic crater, Deildartunguhver OR
      Snæfellsnes Peninsula (Kirkjufell Mountain, Kirkjufellsfoss)??? sleep in Reykjavik or on the way
      16/5 Reykjavik
      17/5 extra night if we want to stay somewhere 2 nights
      18/5 blue lagoon + flight

P.S is there a good volcano tour to take and which one would you recommend and from where?

Thanks for the quick responders !!

more
    • Where to stay in south iceland?

South Iceland Apr 28, 2015 at 8:54 PM

We are planning a trip to iceland with our two kids - ages 4 and 2.
      I read up the last few days and came up with a basic itinerary that we could do,in our one week over there.

Reykjavik - 1 day
      Golden Circle - 1 day
      Do the ring road up to Jökulsárlón lagoon.
      Keflavik or snaefellsnes if there is time.

I would like to split the trip from Reykjavik - Jökulsárlón lagoon in 2-3 days at least. That way we won't be too rushed with our kids. However I was looking for accommodations and expedia or any other major website, barely shows any hotels along the south coast. There seem to be hotels in Hella, but nothing much else.

Can anyone suggest how we do this trip? And where to stay or how to split our trip over a week? Thanks a ton!

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Central location for a visit

Iceland May 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Thank you for your answers on the winter time visit options. I'm not going to do specifics now, but I'm thinking so when it comes time to present this to Bob I will have some answers.

Usually when we go someplace, we go for a week and get an efficiency (someplace with a frig and some kind of heating capability like a microwave or stove) and rent a car. We then tour around and see the sights on our own. We usually have breakfast in the unit and go out for lunch. Normally people give us too much to eat for lunch so we take it back and have the rest for dinner. Or we go to a grocery. But usually when we do this, we've been there before.

Is it possible to do this kind of trip in Iceland and stay someplace central and see the things that someone should see in Iceland. Will it be easy to drive in the winter? I see lots of bus tours advertised - Northern Lights Tours, Northrern Lights plus Golden Circle etc. Can we see the sights like that on a tour and come back to town at night?

more
    • aretenda's Profile Photo

5 day trip

Iceland Apr 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I am working on a 5 day trip to Iceland. Never been there before. Not planning for any trekking specifically. I would appreciate your recommendations on getting the best out of 5 day trip.
      Thank you

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

What time of year?

Iceland May 11, 2015 at 5:33 PM

We normally don't travel in the summer - only in the late fall, winter or late spring. Is it possible or appropriate to go to Iceland at a time such as October or the first week of December?

more
    • Tricoter's Profile Photo

3-day Iceland Itinerary, Renting Car

Iceland May 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM

We are stopping for 3 days at end of June on way home from Europe, two adults with teenager. We will arrive Sunday morning. So far I have booked a hotel in Reykavik for the first night, and the second night the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel. Planning on renting a car, not doing any big hiking. Here's what I'm thinking ...

Day 1: Arrive about 9:30am - Get rental car - Self-drive Golden Circle, stay in Reykavik
      Day 2: Drive Southwest Coast to Vik, back to Blue Lagoon by dinner time, stay at Blue Lagoon.
      Day 3: Blue Lagoon, fly out late afternoon

Here are my questions -
      Will we need a 4x4 car rental at end of June for Golden Circle and SW to Vik?
      Is the sand/gravel insurance necessary this time of year?

Appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks so much!

more
    • damaged door car repair

Iceland May 4, 2015 at 7:23 PM

How much do it cost to repair a door damaged cause by strong wind... In April 4,2015 wind blow my rental car door wide open damaged the driver car door . April 11,2015 they claim a repair was 648.000 Isk...+ temp repair 15.000 isk and rent that damge 5 day for 59.000 isk How do they estimate without investigate cause I return that car April 11,2015 ??? This was a trap or not..

more

Near Vigur