Vigo Travel Answers

change location

Advice needed re train to Vigo

by AnnieSue59 Online Now Jul 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

The Man In Seat 61 website says ".... take [an] express train called the 'Camino de Santiago' right across Spain, departing Irun at 08:45 and arriving Ourense 18:30, Santiago de Compostela at 20:02 and A Coruña at 20:35. A portion of this train attached at Miranda de Ebro is detached again at Ourense and goes to Vigo, arriving at 20:06. "

My husband and I have tickets from Irun to Vigo on the above train, for next Friday (22 July 11). Can someone please tell me how we can get into the right part of the train before it reaches Ourense? Will we we able to simply walk through the train (after Miranda de Ebro, of course)?

Hope someone can advise. Thanks.
Annie Sue

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WomBatt's Profile Photo

Re: Advice needed re train to Vigo

by WomBatt Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Sorry, I do not know the journey - surely you have a seat allocation on your tickets which would rationalise the matter, i.e. you are in the correct carriage from the outset.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM

I looked at www.renfe.com out of interest and opened your train details. For Irun-Vigo it shows this timetable:

IRUN 08.45
    SAN SEBASTIAN/DONOSTIA 09.01 09.02
    ZUMARRAGA 09.51 09.52
    ALTSASU 10.19 10.20
    VITORIA/GASTEIZ 10.41 10.42
    MIRANDA DE EBRO 11.02 11.20
    BURGOS ROSA DE LIMA 12.13 12.14
    PALENCIA 12.59 13.01
    SAHAGUN 13.30 13.31
    LEON 14.03 14.18
    ASTORGA 14.55 14.56
    BEMBIBRE 15.40 15.41
    PONFERRADA 15.56 15.57
    O BARCO DE VALDEORRAS 16.33 16.34
    A RUA-PETIN 16.44 16.45
    MONFORTE DE LEMOS 17.27 17.42
    OURENSE 18.20

Does not show the continuing last leg to Vigo nor does it indicate that you need to change train carriage. So as wombat says, your ticket should show Carriage and Seat numbers therefore I would think that you will be settled in the correct carriage and will not need any change. I see that the schedule allows for an 18 minute stop at Miranda de Ebro so this must be where additional carriages are added or detached as you say.
    I find that Spanish railways staff are most helpful and it will be a simple matter of asking the ticket inspector or other staff for any assistance.

RENFE do publish PDF maps of the lines on the web site in case you need to visually see this? You can find on:

renfe.com/EN/viajeros/mediad...

and then look at foot of page for maps showing North and Central areas. And for the Galicia area go to :

renfe.com/EN/viajeros/mediad...

where you can open a similar map.

• Re: Advice needed re train to Vigo

by AnnieSue59 Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Thanks for these replies, but our reservations show one set of seats from Irun to Ourense and another set, with a different coach number, from Ourense to Vigo. I think it's the ARCO (no. 00283) train from Bilbao to Vigo that joins the train from Irun at Miranda - I now see that it arrives at Vigo at 20:31, not 20:06 as I said before. My problem is that there is only a 5 minute scheduled stop at Ourense, so I thought it would be safer to do it earlier if that can be done. I'm sure the train inspectors etc are very helpful, but my Spanish is unfortunately extremely poor, so it seemed best to try to learn something beforehand if possible.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 8:19 AM

So you have solved the first query about the train from Irun to Ourense and I gave you the RENFE time and the stops on the way. Quite a long journey.
    So your ticket is through from Irun to Ourense.
    I gave you a link to show a map of the railway lines in Galicia. If you look at that you can see that at Ourense the line to Vigo is the local one and I dare say that either your coach will continue from Ourense OR you will be informed to change onto the next train for Vigo which will probably be waiting for for you !

Please do not be shy about asking the train crew. They will help you ! Just show them your Ourense to Vigo as you near Ourense on your train ? YOU WILL GET TO VIGO !!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines