Vigo Travel Answers

change location

santiago de compostela to vigo

by tennisforfun Online Now Feb 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We are arriving at airport in santiago de compostela and are travelling to vigo for a 2 week holiday. Is there a train or a bus to Vigo. Any suggestions for our stay to be wonderful. We are from Australia

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: santiago de compostela to vigo

by alza Online Now Feb 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Hola!
    I took the bus from Santiago de Compostela to Porto, Portugal last summer and it went through Vigo. The place looked beautiful and I was sorry I wasn't getting off there to spend a few days.

From Santiago to Vigo:
    Trains: Rua do Hòrreo (2 hours, Monday to Friday 17 per day, 6:15 am-9:37 pm, Euros 5.55-7.70) via Pontevedra (1-1 1/2 hr, Euros 3.75-5.05).

Buses: Estaciòn Central de Autobuses, R. de Rodriguez, 20-minute walk from downtown. (2 hours; Monday to Friday hourly 9 am-10 pm, Saturday hourly 9 am-1 pm and 5-9 pm, Sunday 9 per day 10 am-9 pm; Euros 8) via Pontevedra (1 1/2 hour, Euros 5.15).

Public Transportation: Local buses : Bus # 6 to train station. Bus # 5 to bus station.

I didn't stay in Vigo so I can only pass on a few "Thumbs Up" from my guidebook Let's Go Spain.
    Restaurante Lamari, Pl. de la Piedra. Fresh seafood

Groceries, Supermercado Froiz, R. do Uruguai, 14, Monday to Saturday

Pulperìas (octopus stands) around As Avenidas boardwalk, near Casco Antiguo (try the Pulpa, it's fantastic in the area!)

Nightlife: Black Ball, R. Churruca, 8. Throw-back into psychedelic.

English-language booksotre: Casa del Libro, C. Velàsquez Moreno, 27, downhill off Calle Principe.

Day trips: Islas Cìes (Illas Cìes) 14 kms by ferry, 4 minutes. Book early in the morning.
    Train to Ribadavia, 1 hour. This town is famous for its Jewish history, good wines and intl theater fest in mid-July.
    Cangas, quiet coastal town, ferry 20 minutes.

Enjoy your holiday! Suerte!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ribeirasacra's Profile Photo

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Feb 26, 2010 at 5:32 AM

I think the timetable will depend on the day on which you are travelling. (like sundays or public holidays there will be less services)
    I would suggsts you look these up on either (for buses)
    http://www.monbus.es/
    and (for the trains)
    http://www.renfe.es/

• Re: santiago de compostela to vigo

by tennisforfun Online Now Feb 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Thankyou so much. We are going to travel south through Portugal(with a car) for the following 3 weeks after the rest in Vigo. Any hints on where best to visit would be appreciated.

by tennisforfun Online Now Feb 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Thankyou Alza. We will be travelling south with a car through Portugal from here for 2 weeks. Any hints would be appreciated.

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Feb 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Where do you pick your car up and where do you drop it off?
    Do you have 2 or 3 weeks?
    What are your interests?

First look through the following website:
    http://www.visitportugal.com

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Feb 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I understand that you're picking up a rental car in Vigo and going to Portugal from there, for 2 weeks.

I did that by bus after walking the Camino to Santiago. Have lots of notes, collected information (there's a Camino from Porto to Santiago, crossing into Spain at Tuy (or Tui.) You might be doing this route in reverse, coming from Vigo towards Porto.

If I had had a car, I would have explored the North better, following the GREEN roads on maps (pleasant itineraries), then gone to Lisbon (no need for a car there.) But I was tired after walking through Spain a month and took 5 days to recover in Porto, then in Oeiras, near Lisbon.

PORTO: I stayed outside centre by mistake, but it turned out to be the best place to relax, steps from the shore of the Douro, going towards the ocean. Beautiful promenade, relaxed people and lots of fresh air and beaches. Cafés both traditional and modern, stylish stores, much more peaceful than in town.
    After siesta (it was terribly hot), I'd go in town and it was great. Very lively.

Porto would be the base to explore the North. I'll email you names of a few highlights that can be done within 10 days (or skip some to save days) and you could still reach Lisbon & spend a few days there & around with your 2 weeks.
    I need to get my notes out, see you later.

by chopchi Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

The cheapest way for you is to take the airport bus just outside the terminal and get off at either the bus station stop or at the railway station stop.I prefer the train-just check and see which connection is better for you1
    Other wise take a taxi to the train or bus station.
    Try to find some time to visit Santiago!

by tennisforfun Online Now Mar 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Thankyou again for your reply. We are going to pick up the car from Santiago airport and drive to Vigo. We will have the car the whole time now. We are interested in taking trips to villages and understanding the lifestyle of the locals. We love small and large markets, seafood, music and generally walking to beautiful places. We travelled through Morocco this way also. We love to drive so thats not a problem. We stay for 2 weeks at Vigo and then hope to plan the rest of our trip (3 weeks) from there. Travelling south or north whichever we feel will be the nicest. We prefer little towns to big cities.
    Any ideas will be most welcome. I am new to this site and am still finding my way around answering back.
    Thankyou

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Mar 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Oh dear if you love small villages then Vigo is not going to be fore you…It is the largest and most industrial city in Galicia. It could be a good base but getting in an out by car is going to be quite complicated at times.
    For all the tourist information about Galicia look through the official website which is www.turgalicia.es
    Here you will find something that will tick all of the boxes for you.

Enjoy green Spain.

by tennisforfun Online Now Mar 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Thankyou for letting me know about the car in Vigo. We will have sat nav so it may help!! We really wanted the 2 weeks to unwind before the rest of the trip and were hoping to do daily trips from Vigo to surrounding areas. Any suggestions. We are hoping to access smaller villages for the rest of the three weeks making our way back to Madrida via Portugal, to fly back to Australia. Thats where I was hoping for some information regarding liitle villages etc B and B's. Thankyou so much for helping.

by tennisforfun Online Now Mar 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Wow thankyou for all the information. We are going through our travel guide book slowly. Im getting a little excited as the time gets closer. Is the language barrier a BIG problem? Are there any particular Easter Village Fairs near Vigo worth visiting?

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM

For B&Bs read through the Turgalicia website...B&Bs do not exist in towns and cities in Spain you have to sleep in Hotels or hostels.
    Never heard of any Easter Fairs in Galicia but then it is a huge chunk of land so I may have missed out on that one.
    English is not so commonly spoken in this part of Spain. So have a good phrase book handy if you do not have any Spanish.

by swataga Online Now Mar 6, 2010 at 3:42 AM

wowwww, two weeks in Galicia!! A really nice thing to do is enjoy the coast, I spent some days in two different years just going from Ribadeo(LUGO) to LA Guarda (Pontevedra). Public transport is not really good, but if you rent a car or find a nice person who likes to travel and show the country (I found her!!) it's the best thing to do. I enjoyed: Cies Islands in summer (it's a paradise), the highest cliffs of Europe (near Ferrol, Coruna), Cape Finisterre, "end of the world" (the western most point of Galicia), Santiago (of course!!), Rias Baixas y Altas (completely different), Coruna city (I had a really good guide, the girl who showed me Galicia)... Enjoy a lot and enjoy the people!!!

• Re: santiago de compostela to vigo June 2012 post-camino!

by catheriam Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Gracias y obrigado for your reply to transit to Vigo from Santiago Compostela. I am walking Madrid-Sahagun - Santiago Compostela on my second Camino in 10 years -- and 10 years older!

I have a good chunk of time walk The Way (April 27 - June 13) and thought, well, heck, Portugal is just around the corner and it's the one European country I have never visited nor lived in!

After your advice -- and, in this moment, highly optimistic about my level of fitness after 30+ days on Camino -- I could walk from Vigo back to Santiago Compostela. Then, too, there is this pull to Lisboa ... always fascinated me!

Well, I reckon it is down to how may Euros I have left as the US dollar is getting quite a beating.

Knowing I have the travel option you provided in rich detail is encouraging. And who knows who, what, when, why and where on and post-Camino? St James may have something altogether different in mind for me!

Ultreya!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines