Vigo Travel Answers

change location

hostels in vigo, galicia, spain?

by greenpossum Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 7:26 AM

I'll be up this way towards the end of September, coming from Portugal and returning that way. There doesn't seem to be much backpacker accommodation in Vigo, a HI hostel and a University affiliated hostel. Are there not many travellers coming here?

I was thinking of staying here and taking a day trip to Santiago de Compostela. Or should I just go straight to Santiago?

What would you recommend for 3 days in Galicia? I will be using buses and trains.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: hostels in vigo, galicia, spain?

by alza Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Hi, My bus from Santiago to Porto in May passed through Vigo -- it was very lively and picturesque, steep descents into the Old Town, etc. I was sorry not to stop there. People in Porto later told me Vigo has great nightlife.

Four hostals at backpacker prices in my 2008 guidebook:

Hostal Ría de Arosa, R. Cervantes, 4, 2nd fl. (T. 986 43 50 96) Sept.-June Single: €15

Hostal Ría de Vigo, R. Cervantes, 14, 1st fl. (T. 986 43 72 40) Oct.-June Single: €19

Ancla Dorada Hostal-Residencia, C. Irmandiños, 2 (T. 986 43 66 07) Sept.-June Single: €24

Hospedaje La Estrella, C. Martín Codax, 5 (T. 986 22 50 35) Singles: €20

With 3 days in Galicia, from Vigo, you can take the ferry (45 min.) to Islas Cíes, two connected islands with great beaches and hiking trails.

I had pulpo (octopus) while walking across Galicia, they *know* how to prepare it there, it was delicious!

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Salut Pedro! I hadn't seen your reply before posting mine. For the Poster's benefit: I don't have your experience of the area and I think he should explore your suggestions further.

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM

oh you remind me!!! I forgot to mention the place I stayed at in Santiago de Compostela.
    I was travelling "backpacker style" and it was perfect, considering. One wing seems geared to pilgrims finally reaching the end of their Camino, that's where I was and it may offer cheaper rates than rest of hotel. I forget exact rate but it was very inexpensive.
    Good location, easy walk to Old Town, you can also walk to the Bus Station.

Hostal La Salle
    San Roque, 6 y Tras Santa Clara
    Santiago
    (I'll look up contact info soon as I can and post it here.)

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Contact info for Hostal La Salle in Santiago de Compostela:

Telephone: 981-585-667; 981-584-221
    FAX: 981-062-846; 981-584-221

Email: info@hostallasalle.com
    Webpage: www.hostallasalle.com (in English too)

Online reservations possible.

• Re: hostels in vigo, galicia, spain?

by greenpossum Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, friends. I must research Galicia more with all those possibilities. Thanks!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines