Vigo Travel Answers

change location
igcoldicott's Profile Photo

Travelling from Vigo to Porto

by igcoldicott Online Now Apr 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I'm going to have to travel from Vigo to Porto in three weeks' time. I've looked at the options and would appreciate some advice. It seems one option is the take an Autna bus from Estacion Autobuses, and there are several departurues each day - presumably no need to book ahead. The other option is to take the international train, which runs twice a day. There are details and prices the Portuguese railways web site on cp.pt but I can't find a way to book it, and I'm not even sure it's possible to take this as a Vigo-Porto single journey, as it's advertised as a day trip to Vigo. I can't find any reference on the Spanish railways site renfe.es to these trains atall. Can anyone help?
And having said that, would I be better spending more time in Porto and not bothering to spend half a day in Vigo? I will have four days in Porto.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling from Vigo to Porto

by MaheshSamtani Online Now Apr 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM

The distance from Vigo to Oporto is a little over 150 kilometers. There are quite some ways of doing this route. By bus you can get more information from the website of a company called Vigobus. They cover the distance in a little over 90 minutes and have 7 buses a day on this route.
    http://www.vigobus.com/
    another company that does this route is one called Autna. You can check their timings and details on this route at the following link
    http://www.autna.com/regulares.php
    By train, it takes a much longer time (aroung 3 1/2 hours) to cover this route as the train is a slow diesel engine running aat speed of around 50 Km. and bordering the coast. Take a look at the following link from the Portugese railway company for the route from Oporto to Vigo ( the reverse of what you want to do), which will give you an idea and probably help you get more detialed information, in case you are interested in going by train.
    cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PD......
    the Spanish website as you have already checked does not give any information on the route from Vigo to Oporto.
    Hope this helps.
    best regards
    Mahesh

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nomad7890's Profile Photo

by nomad7890 Online Now Apr 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I have only been "thru" Vigo, and am planning to visit Porto in May- so have done quite a bit of research and have had lots of feedback. From Porto, there are quite a few places where you can do day trips. After much research, this is what I have settled on:

- Trip to Guimaraes. On the cp.pt site, there is a separate section for Guimaraes: cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgne...

- I am also taking a train to Regua, and come back to Porto sailing on the Douro - this is a packaged tour but you can do it on your own.

Many other places you can visit: Viana do Castelo, Aveiro, Braga - but after all the research I settled for the two day trips I mentioned first (Guimaraes and the Douro) - and the rest of the time in Porto.

I did not spend enough time in Vigo to see it, was only in transit so cannot say if it would be worth to go, but Guimaraes and the Douro have had quite a unanimous response.

• Re: Travelling from Vigo to Porto

by spacehopper Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I have been to Vigo twice on my way elsewhere and although the seafood is fabulous I found it industrial and not that interesting. Why not go to Baiona instead http://www.baiona.org. It is a very charming, pretty seaside town, great seafood and has a parador.

Porto is beautiful and you could quite happily spend a few days there and do a couple of day trips, as someone else mentioned Guemaraes is gorgous as is Amarante.

• igcoldicott's Profile Photo

by igcoldicott Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 5:36 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far - I am new to the site and didn't expect this much! I am committed to one night in Vigo before moving on to Porto - it's just a question of whether to spend half a day there before leaving (I will also be in Vigo in November for half a day so could look round then).

I've looked at the Vigobus site but can't find any coaches to Porto besides those of Autna - which look fine. The journey is about 2hr30 as against 3hr00 by train and though normally I would prefer the train hands down maybe this time I will take an Autna coach (the only feasible train for me leaves Vigo at 07:40, giving no time to lok round first).

While in Porto I had planned trips out to Aveiro and Barcelos (for the Thursday flea market, partly)- but had also considered Guimaraes. Maybe there is more to see than at Barcelos. But most of my time in Porto riding the trams and wandering about. Thanks for all the suggestions.

by igcoldicott Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Forgot to mention - I also considered Amarante as a day out from Porto but wasn't sure about the rail connection at Livracao and indeed whether the Tamega line to Amarante would be running in the middle of May....! There is of course the bus alternative. Too many options for a short break!

• Ribeirasacra's Profile Photo

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Here is a fuller detailed explanation of websites to get across the border.
    It is posted on this websites siter site Trip Advisor.
    tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1875...

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Another question. Is the market at Barcelos a flee market? As I thought it was just a typical farmers market. Can any one shed some light on this please?

by igcoldicott Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 1:42 AM

According to Lonely Planet Portugal the Feira de Barcelos held every Thursday is a large flea market...anyone know otherwise?

According to spanish-airport-guide.com/vi...
    'A coach service has also been provided from the centre of Vigo (direct via the motorway) to Oporto to cater for the budget flight market. The fare is €12 Euro and you can find out more at www.vitrasa.es Information telephone: (0034)986 291 600'. I czn't find anything about this on the Vitrasa web site - anyone know of this?

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 2:46 AM

I personally do not trust the English site about Spanish airports.
    I always use the official website for the airports. http://www.aena.es. It works best with I.E. rather than Firefox.
    However the information for Vigo does not say anything about a direct bus. All I can find (from the bus website you gave and linked from the airport website too) is this for route 9B

vitrasa.es/php/index.php?pag...

The official website for the town of Barcelos say that the market is a farmers market. That is why I asked if there is a flea market. I want to pop across the border soon (I live in Galicia) so maybe I will have to try and make it for a Thursday to find out.

by igcoldicott Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 1:38 AM

You may be right - I reread the Lonely Planet section and it may well be a farmers' market. It certainly is supposed to be large and to have local produce, livestock and crafts such as pottery so it may well have a flea market element to it as well. Worth a look.

As for getting from Vigo to Porto, I will probably devote a couple of hours in Vigo before catching an Autna bus. While in Porto I am intending trips to Aveiro, Guimaraes and maybe Barcelos. They are all only an hour or so on the train and cost around €4 return!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines