Vigo Travel Answers

change location

what to do in Vigo

by rlincoln1 Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 8:30 PM

We will be in Vigo for 12 hours on our cruise and plan to explore on our own. Can anyone give us some suggestions of things to do and see while we are there? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • whatawonderfulworld.'s Profile Photo

Re: what to do in Vigo

by whatawonderfulworld. Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 9:02 PM

... 12 hours in Vigo ...

For sure you should visit " SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA ".

Vigo is nice too, Alto Barrio - Castro, a old fortress ...

The cruises are offering different excursions in each harbour. I`m almost sure there must be a daily trip to Santiago too ... or (if its to expensive) organize this trip by yourself. Rent a car for one day ... that`s it !!

From Vigo to Santiago it takes around 1 hour by car (80-90km). Even by two hours to go and two hours to come back you`ll be in Santiago for "8 hours" ! I think that`s really great !!

Santiago is the capital of Galicia, a World Heritage City and a pilgrimage destination - the final destination of the legendary medieval way of Camino de Santiago (Way of Saint James).

I`m sure it will be great for you.

Take care.

Greetings from Montréal, Juergen

Pls. watch this link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santia...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xinoxano's Profile Photo

Re: what to do in Vigo

by xinoxano Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM

If you are only 12 hours in Vigo it would be stressing to go to Santiago, visit it quickly and then go back to Vigo.

I would visit Vigo and places nearby instead. Vigo is beautiful but has practically no monuments, as it was a small town, practically a village until the 19th century.

Apart from Vigo you can visit Bayona, only a few km away from Vigo or take a boat to the Cies Islands, which is a natural park. The trip to the islands takes 45 minutes.

Pontevedra, the capital of the province but smaller than Vigo is also within a reasonable distance, you can take a train there and is gorgeous.

• Re: what to do in Vigo

by euskaldun Online Now Sep 5, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Personally, I find Vigo a rather sprawling industrial city with little to offer in terms of tourist attractions. I would be bored if I had to stay there for twelve hours. On the other hand, your allocated time is way to short to enjoy an excursion without hassle. I would advice a boat trip to the Cies Islands if the weather is nice. I would also add Tui. It is not far away and it is a beautiful fortified city. You can cross the river and visit Valença do Minho in Portugal, which is also very nice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines