Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
capelkay's Profile Photo

Visa for Vietnam

by capelkay Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Hi i am an Aussie and want to know if i should pre apply for my visitor visa or can i just get it at the airport on arrival. Would hate to land and be denied entry.
What is the current cost of a visitor visa?
Thinking june July in the south and up to Hue. Anything going on that i should be aware of? like Ramadan in Malaysia.

Any info would be great especially about Visas.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

Re: Visa for Vietnam

by explore_discover Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

you will have to apply for Visa approval online through authorized agents for a fee around USD20 and then they will arrange your visa to be picked up (stamped) on your passport on arrival at the airport (to be specified the arrival airport in advance) and will also have to pay the Visa Fee, google Vietnam Visa Service and you will come up with lots of service providers.

Raamadan will be begining from 9th July till 7th August

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Even if Vietnam has a fair number of muslims ramadan is not changing things there really.
    The cham people of the south who are the biggest muslim group in Vietnam cuts down the ramadan to only a few days and they drink alcohol all year round so they are very "islam light" if i may call them that.

What you should watch out for that time of year thougg is extreme weather as it can get extremely hot that time of year and you might also have floodings that time of year.
    So do not plan a tight schedule as rain might slow travel down.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Apply for Visa on line 20 usd, only now the fees for entry Visa gone up 45usd from 25usd. Much faster to get through the maze. Cash only too....never understood how government officials only take cash? they put it in a cigar box too, or carry it in their pockets. Very strange a government office doesn't have a cash register. When I needed change for a hundred usd, they pulled out a whole wad of cash from their pockets. flash money ! Only I became richer than them when I went to the ATM. It spit out six million dongs like it was nothing.

cheers tommy x

• mikeinvietnam's Profile Photo

by mikeinvietnam Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Rates have gone up this past month for VN visas. Price depends on how long you will stay. the longest period available is 3 months and costs135 USD. I think the shortest period is for 30 days. A link follows at the end of this post. Like the first person to comment said, You can apply for a visa-on-arrival, which takes only two days to complete. Give your credit card info and they will charge you a fee of20 to30 on average for their service. They will send you an email with a completed and printable visa on arrival form. This service is well worth the price just so you don't have to pay Fed-Ex type rates to deal with the VN embassy in Australia, and hope you get the visa back in time. So, it's about the same rate for the visa on arrival as it might cost to deal with overnight delivery services. You must have the visa or visa on arrival form to board your place on the last leg of your flight to VN. When you land, someone will guide all visa on arrival passengers to a designated line where you pay the visa charges and get a visa stamped in your passport. My son has used this about 4 or 5 times when visiting me and has had no problems with entry.

No disruptive events are scheduled during those months. Might be a holiday for a weekend but that wouldn't be considered a problem. Ramadan is not a VN holiday. Be prepared for some summer heat and possible rainy days.
    Current info on VN visas,

news.gov.vn/Home/Fees-for-vi...

Do a search on "Vietnam Visa on arrival" choose one of the sites available.
    Have a great trip.
    Mike

1 member found this helpful

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Good advice already, yes you must have a pre arranged visa which is easily arranged online and prices went up in January. The airline won't let you on the plane without a visa so being denied entry won't be a problem. As said Ramadan won.t affect you and hardly noticable.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM

i was there recently,and you need the visa upon arrival. I had someones do it for me on arrival but I was on business.

This is Vietnam government site on visas
    visavietnam.gov.vn/?gclid=CN...

hope it helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations