Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
seanmccurry's Profile Photo

Ho Chi Minh

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM

HI I will be staying in Ho Chi Minh for a few days in March with my wife. We are looking for a area to stay what's is like Khaoson road in Bangkok. Ie good night life cheap hotels.

Thanks for your help

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Re: Ho Chi Minh

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM

De Tham street (also known as backpackers district) is the best area to stay in HCMC. You will be close to many major locations and you can also arrange your trips to Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta easily from here. You can check my HCMC page for useful tips.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • seanmccurry's Profile Photo

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a go

Cheers Sean

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Agree with Murat it's lively , cheap accom and eats but its not nearly as busy etc as Khaoson Road.

It's different.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 6:47 AM

anything in district 1 would do. Can't compare with Bangkok as never been there.
    cheers

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Little confused? Are you going to Bangkok or HCMC. I thought on previous posts you were looking at Vietnam.
    If you are still looking at HCMC, I suggest you consider the Pham Ngo Lao area which has a large concentration of westerners, and hotels can be found very cheap.
    If your budget is larger then of course there are many nice hotels in District 1 closer to downtown.
    If you are staying in Bangkok,Thailand, I always stay in the Sukhumvit Area which may be a bit "wild" for couples but a lot of fun.

by martensd Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Never mind, I re-read your post and realized you wanted something "like" Khaosan Rd. in Bangkok.
    So then yeah, go the Pham Ngo Lao area.
    There is a Pham Ngo Lao St. but that whole area is full of budget hotels.
    That is also where you find many of the tour guide shops.
    Be careful in this area, while it is not dangerous, there are pickpockets and snatch and grab thieves in this area due to large concentration of tourists.
    Check previous forum posts and travel pages for more information on the area.
    David

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sometimes it is worth more to stay away from backpackers alley after some of the things I heard from the expats there a few weeks ago. I stayed in district 1 that was three blocks away from PHAM NGU LAO area and had a great stay for 15 usd a night. The place next door was a three star place with breakfast included, but my room was small and bed was small, bathroom was small @ 30usd a night booked on Agoda web site. So after a few days I looked outside and there were banners of room promotion, 300,000 dongs a night (15usd) two star hotel, so I checked out the room and found the bed larger, more comfy, larger bathroom, less the LCD TV and breakfast.(THEY HAD OLD TUBE tv) I was happy and both places were clean and had maid service and clean sheets. Hoang Lien Hotel had the smaller room while the one next door call Sweet Home had larger rooms at half the price, both clean on (15 Bui Thi Xuan St.) Ben Thanh Ward, District 1. Anyway, talking to the backpackers, they got dorm rooms with share baths at 8-10 usd per person, sheets and towels were rough. If they got a room, it was small and rough (20usd), no maid service, just a come and go place, security lacks too. so for a few blocks away from the wild area, I was quite happy. in the mornings, there is a city park caddy cornor from the hotel to spend nice mornings and afternoons. There are refreshment stands out there that do not overcharge for your drinks cause it is a state run park, and you will see many locals bring out their bird cages and hang them out while they have coffee and tea, read the newspaper. Busiest day is Sundays 8am, 100's of bird cages, most gone by 10:30. A real site to see. Other locals use the park to have meetings and club get togethers, and take pictures in the park. People were very friendly and got me going into the right directions after tea time. At the corner also, but late in the evening (after 5) sandwich shops and street vendors set up and the sandwiches are great, there is a bakery and coffee stands there too. Makes you feel like a local hanging out.Also around the park is a cinema, at night the area is packed. If I want action, I walk three blocks to the back packers alley and sit out on the stools and drink fifty cent Saigon beers. many places to eat out there too, but you have to know like the locals do on where to go. Of course you can get good meals in the tourist area, but check out my blogs that I will put up soon of the great places I was entertained with great food.
    hope this help and thanks for the tips.

cheers tommy x

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM

@tommy - great response. This applies in a lot of places, for a fewmore you can get much better accom.

• seanmccurry's Profile Photo

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Wow some great replys. Can't wait to get there in March. I'm staying in HCMC FOR 2 or 3 nights not sure yet. Then off to Cambodia 4 nights. Phnom Pen and Siem Reap then back to HCMC then off up the coast prob fly to Nah Trang, Dalat MuiNe and back for a final night in HCMC. I want to use the train plane and bus to get around. Does this sound ok any feedback would be great

Cheers Sean

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Sean

I could write for pages on this area but will refer you instead to the tour operator below.

Generally I do not go on tours but in Vietnam I make an exception. This company's tours are cheaper than you can do it yourself (when you count extra time traveling etc in) and of good though not 5 star quality. Based on your accommodation preference i think this level you will find perfect.

I have no association with this organisation apart from having done a number of their tours and think them wonderful.

Even if you don't want to book with them the itineraries will certainly give you lots of ideas. Just had look at site they used to do Cao Dai Temple & Cu Chi Tunnels one day tour - for about12 - details still there if you search Cao Dai - no price .. not sure if they are still doing it (email them) but Cao Dai is a must see and it and Cu Chi make a great day trip.

Site it https://www.thesinhtourist.vn/

This is the original Sinh Cafe site - be careful there are a lot of fake sinh cafes.

Any more questiions just ask.
    Albert

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 AM

There are many tour operators in and around back packers alley, just choose one and tell them your intentions and destinations of travel and they can hook you up through the other countries. Remember that if you return to Vietnam, you will need to get a double entry VISA, the tour operator can also help you get the other visa also. just remember to bring extra photographs.

cheers tommy x

• NitNoy's Profile Photo

by NitNoy Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would never stay in PNL. However, it does make for good people watching.

There are many inexpensive hotels all over D1. This one has always received good reviews and its next to the best Thai restaurant in Saigon.

http://www.indochinehotel.com/home

by martensd Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Tommy, Nit and Wabat are right on.
    Yes, even though I advocate PNL area because many are looking for cheap lodging and since many are first timers in VN it is an area they will be able to navigate, I agree that other areas can be a better value.
    I always stay in the Tan Binh District (Cam Ly Hotel) this is a very Viet area near the airport.
    I get an apartment with kitchenette for about30.00 a day (repeat customer rate), and even though the hotel is only rated 1.5 stars, it is clean with queen bed, full bath, two air cons and kitchenette.
    That said, I like to go to the PNL area and sit at a table at Huong Vy restaurant next to Giant Dragon hotel. Great people watching area, cheap beer and pretty good cheap food.
    And yes, there have been newspaper reports of increased snatch and grabs of IPOD's, cameras and high end phones, but not only in the PNL area but in other areas and not just of tourists but Vietnamese people also.
    Common sense applies just as it does in other countries.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations