Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
capelkay's Profile Photo

Vietnam mekong delta

by capelkay Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I want to check out the Mekong delta in end of May. Love photography and want to explore the floating markets and life on the Mekong. Can Tho markets are an early start so i know to head down the day before.
My question is do i book local tour for two nights in Can Tho
or get local bus and own accomodation?
Look foward to hearing your feedback on ways to explore the Delta.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Vietnam mekong delta

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

travelfish.org/location/viet...

I have been to Cantho in 1993 and i am sure it has changed a lot since then but i am a person who hates joining tour groups where you follow the tour guide in a group. i find it far more interesting to wander around by myself, going down small alleyways and discovering the place. This is also good for photography. Chances are you will meet a student eager to talk to you and eager to show his town to you. Needless to say i would opt for going it alone!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • capelkay's Profile Photo

by capelkay Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM

thanks David that was quick reply.
    I guess it reads that way. what i was really asking is Vietnam public transport, is it easy enough to use or do i get a tour company to get me there and back. cos they seem cheap enough. Gosh when me and my camera get together in a location like this the rest of the tour group would be extreemly pissed at me ny the end. lol.
    How many days do you think to hang around the Delta, wanted to be in Hio An for the new moon lantern festival 10 days after i arrive in HCMC. Not sure weather to take 10 days getting up there or explore the Delta and HCMC and fly up.

I always get a bit flustered and don't want to miss out on anything. And waiting for transport in Asia can be exteemly longwinded sometimes.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I haven't done the 2 day tour, which I think would be the best, but have done the one day one.
    At the markets, we were taken on a boat past the market boats, of which there weren't many because of the late arrival. Lots of touring by group on the Delta is by canoe, or boat. Where we had lunch, we stayed a while and could do our own thing. This is what I did on a one day tour of the Mekong Delta
    "Mekong delta - Cai Be - Vinh Long" - Mekong Delta Tip by balhannah

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Whenever i have traveled in Vietnam i have always used,public transport and have had no problems. Sometimes it is not the most comfortable in the world but i am there to experience the country and meet people, not to go on a tour with a load of westerners.
    You will enjoy Hoi-An and it is near the beautiful beach and Marble Mountains. You may want to consider a day trip to Cao Dai Temple from Saigon (SINH CAFE DOES TOURS OF CAO DAI AND CU CHI FOR AROUND $15).---great for photography.
    I spent 10 days in the delta at Mytho, Cantho, Long Xuyen and Rach Gia and the colorful markets, bus stations are particular good for photography, so i guess you just take it a it comes with no definite plans except your date for Hoi An. Nha Trang and the nearby islands are worth a stop on the way north.

• lanemeyer's Profile Photo

by lanemeyer Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Hi.

It really depends. If you're using a tour company, you can cut things closer and not worry about random "surprises"/delays. Try Luxury Travel Vietnam. They do all variations of tours and seem to have lots of positive feedback after some checking.

If you're on your own, giveyour self more time than you think you need!

• qknt289's Profile Photo

by qknt289 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

You'd better find a local agency for the Mekong Delta tour. I've just done a Cai Be - Vinh Long - Can Tho 2 days 1 night. Really enjoyable!

• Re: Vietnam mekong delta

by Aveline Online Now Apr 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

You should book tour from Hochiminh city. I booked 2days 1night tour
    Day 1: HCMC - My Tho - Ben Tre - overnight in Can Tho
    Day 2: Can Tho - Cai Rang market - HCMC

• Re: Vietnam mekong delta

by quocado Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Hi capelkey,

If you're interested in Mekong Delta region for photography please take my advice before you go:
    - Pick up one of these destinations: Can Tho (strongly recommended because there is a busy center of floating market)

My Tho
    or Cai Be/Tien Giang

- Stay there for a night so you can wake up early in the next morning for floating market (so you can take picture)
    - Book a tour so they can organize your stay, meal and convenience
    - If you wanna stay in local people house, they have too. Rather than that you could take daily activities of this region

I hope it's helpful for your trip and Cheers!

Any confusion you might send me e-mail via : inbound12@fiditour.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations