Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
capelkay's Profile Photo

Have i tried to cram to much in?

by capelkay Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Any transport tips to get from one place to the next is greatly appreciated.
I have only booked the first night in HCMC the rest i plan to book as i go along keeping it fluid. So all recomendations will be consideered.
day 1 Arrive SGN 3.50pm
2 look around HCMC - Ben Thah Market- turtle square
3 Cu Chi Tunnels & Temple Tay Nih midday service
4 Cantho
5 Cantho Cai Rang Floating Markets
6 Dalat open air Train to Trai Mat Hamlet Dalat Market and Peaceful Xua Huong Lake
7 Dalat
8 Na Trang Big Buddah
9 Na Trang
11 HOI An New Moon Lantern festival
12 HOI An Japanese bridge fish market 6-7am opp south end market
13 My Son Ruins
14 Marble Mountain Area an route to Hue/ Hai Van Pass
16 Hue Perfume river cruise/take bike and cycle back Dong Ba Market
17 Hue cyclo Citidal & forbiden purple city
18 fly out Danang
19 7.15 arrive KL
21 Depart 5 past midnight
Forbidden purple city

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Have i tried to cram to much in?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Coco Chanel once said "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.” The same is true when planning a holiday.

Could you fit it all in? Sure. But i've always been the type of traveller who chooses to enjoy the place i am, as opposed to worry about how i'm getting to the next place. I'm not going to say what to cut out, but less is always more.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM

You have a full plate and the advice you be reading is true. Less is more. The first night should be booked for two, because the first night you will be overwhem by the craziness of the city and traffic. You will be partied and pooped out, sleep in late unless you have so much energy you wake up by 8 and go jogging. Having 20 days there, I would leisurely walk about until I have a good breakfast, then go to a tour agency and look at the things you might want to do and book them. cut them in half and cconsider the travel time in your journey. Everywhere you go, see if you would like it so much that you stay a day or two. If not book and proceed to the next city. Basically WING IT., but had a in and out plan.

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

It's certainly doable but of course you will have to be on the move every day with this itenerary.
    Mabye it would be a good idea to put in a day or two with nothing in them just so you can do whatever comes in to your mind that day.

But the schedule is doable for sure.
    I tour up and down Vietnam several times a year with tour groups and they travel with about the same pace you write here.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

It is always good to have a plan but i very rarely stick to mine. It is certainly doable although a little rushed as others have commented but i realise you may only have so much time for your vacation so you want to see as much as possible and not relax. When you got ot Cu Chi Tunnels i advise you to take a tour that includes the interesting Cao Dai Temple complex.

• andie_c's Profile Photo

by andie_c Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Hi, its great that you have a detailed plan of attack but unfortunately you have to understand that the Vietnamese transport systems are not like the western world. Its not a bad thing but you just have to sit back and roll with it. For instance if you are traveling to Can tho from Saigon then its like a 4-5 hour bus trip if you take the local public bus service. Fly Saigon to either Danang or Nha Trang, they have cheap air deals through either Viet jet or Vietnam airlines. around $40- 90 AUD. From Nha Trang you can catch a bus down to Dalat or even Mui ne for nice beaches, From Dalat you can catch a taxi, about half hour ride to Hoi an. Just take a metered taxi.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM

In Hoi An, you can do the Japanese bridge and markets in the morning early and leave for My Son before midday. You don't need a full day for My Son. The day you have saved there I would put between days 5 and 6 enabling you to relax a little in HCMC after the Mekong delta and taking the train/bus to Dalat

• Re: Have i tried to cram to much in?

by larsay Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

What you want to see in Dalat is boooooooooooring !!! Here what you want to see (my travel notes - I just spent 14 days between Hoi An and Dalat - take your pick !) :

I loved Da Lat, perhaps because, finally, you know where you go thanks to the town maps given by the hotels, and you can eat superbly. Attention: it is at 1500 m altitude, and often windy, so you need warm clothes from December to end of March. The excellent Dreams Hotel of the charming Mrs Dung was full (it is often so), so, I ended up in her brother’s hotel (as charming!) at the Thien An, as good and in a quieter section of the street, and with the same celebrated enormous buffet breakfast, a whole meal by itself . Free mountain bikes (you need all the speeds!), motorbikes 4$ manual, 5$ automatic (don’t take the auto, no engine brake, so, you burn the brakes). 272A Phan Ding Phung 063 352 0607 and 0608 thienanHotel@vnn.vn. If you prefer a delightful homestay house, Mrs Nhon’s Mai An, with 6 rooms and a terrace overlooking the hills. 24$, breakfast 1$50. No bicycles; Motorbike rental 10$. Mai An Villa, 7 Nghia Bac Son 063 382 1291 (no email).
    Backpackers will find happiness at the two Peace Guest House 64 and 67 Truong Cong Dinh (take the 2nd one, the first one is not well kept). peacedalat@gmai.com.

Lots of restaurants ! First diner at the Art Café, belonging to a local artist; good food, but I prefer the wonderful bistro Nhat Ly (88 Phan Dinh Phung); delicious copious food at low prices (don’t go before 20 :00, it is generally full before) and the more elegant Trong Dông (220 Phan Dinh Phung), where I had 3 wonderful meals (try the eels, divine!).
    I started with the visit of the famous Da Lat sites:
    - Bao Dai Villa: pure Art Déco and much simpler than I expected for an emperor.
    - The Crazy House, an surrealistic architectural delirium reminiscent of Gaudi’s masterpieces ; it is also a hotel with 5 crazy rooms. To be seen to believe it !!!!
    - Linh Phuoc Pagoda, another delirium, but baroque this time.
    - The beautiful colonial villas of Tran Hung Dao Street, a true open air Art Déco museum: It seems that they are now part of a hotel complex, but I could not find any Reception.
    - The 5-Star Dalat Palace Hotel, another art Déco masterpiece (1932), its little brother the Du Parc (ex-Novotel) and the very colonial restaurant Café de la Poste (atrociously expensive!).
    - The railway station, a copy of the Deauville one

The next 2 days of motorcycle rides out of Da Lat, to go to some wonderful places:
    • The summit of Lang Biang Mountain(2100 m), from which you have a spectacular view of the entire region, and the marvelous new XQ Historic Village (I “zapped” the Love Park, even the locals think it’s absolutely ridiculous).
    • The Dalanta Waterfalls, 5 km South on the Saigon road ; beautiful ; the river then goes into a narrow canyon over which you can ride a cable car. If you don’t like to walk, an impressive roller-coaster goes down to the falls.
    I went all the way down the pass to the Prenn Waterfalls ; forget them ! Everything is phony, a true Disneyworld for Asian and Russian tourists.
    • The very beautiful Elephant Waterfalls –thac voï - 27 km West of Da Lat (take Hoang Van Thu Street and follow the signs « Ta Nung » ; you go down a long pass and arrive in a valley with hills covered with coffee plantations ; cross Ta Nung, direction Nam Ban ; the waterfalls are on the right at the exit of Nam Ban. ATTENTION: going down to the falls is very tricky through a canyon of enormous boulders; you need walking shoes and a sure foot, and forget it if it rained.

by thuhangquangbinh Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I saw that you plan to travel to many places in Vietnam but just in the South and the Central of Vietnam. I think you should consider some places in the North of Vietnam such as Hanoi, Sapa, Ha Long bay or you can visit Phong Nha Ke Bang cave in Quang Binh province (my hometown). Please contact me if you need any advice for your trip to Vietnam: thuhangdppr@gmail.com

• haiauchamchi's Profile Photo

by haiauchamchi Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

by quocado Online Now Apr 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM

So you have 17 days for Vietnam yeah? Why don't take a trip to Northern also? there are some interesting places out there. Here is my plan for you:
    Day 1 Arrive in SGN 3.50pm, catch Taxi to your hotel, take rest and better to book a tour
    Day 2 Cu Chi Tunnels & Tay Ninh
    Day 3 Saigon tour and in the afternoon heading to Can Tho, stay over night in Can Tho
    Day 4 Wake up early in Can Tho for floating market and river tour. Back to Sai Gon on same day
    Day 5 Da Lat
    Day 6 Da Lat - Nha Trang
    Day 7 Nha Trang
    Day 8 Nha Trang - Da Nang
    Day 9 Da Nang - Hoi An
    Day 10 Hoi An - Hue
    Day 11 Hue - Ha Noi
    Day 12 Ha Long Bay (you have to visit this place, it's highlight in Vietnam)
    Day 13 Ha Long Bay, back to Ha Noi
    Day 14 From Ha Noi, take train to Sapa
    Day 15 Sapa
    Day 16 Ha Noi
    Day 17 You can visit Hoa Lu (the ancient capital of Vietnam) - day trip and back to Ha Noi for preparing Departure
    Day 18 Departure to KL

Cheers! Contact me if you are sill confused lol =)) send me an e-mail : inbound12@fiditour.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations