Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
capelkay's Profile Photo

Vietnam HCMC to Hue

by capelkay Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

WOOHOO booked to HCMC mid May then fly out of DAD end of May. I plan to wander up to Hoi An for the nem moon lantern festival on the 23rd May.
Would love to hear any unique suggestions for the journey.
so far i think MySon is a definite day trip.
Are the tunnels near Hue the same sort of thing as the Cu Chi Tunnels.
thought a homestay on the Mekong Delta any suggestions.
a day trip up the Mekong.
A stopover in Da Lat to get out of the heat for a couple of days.
Look foward to any and all sugestions.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Vietnam HCMC to Hue

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Hoi An is a great place to visit and as well as the interesting town by the river it is worth hiring a bike or motorbike to visit the beautiful sandy beach that is just a few kilometres away. The Marble Mountains are within reach too. My Son is also worthwhile on a day trip. I have not been to the tunnels near Hue but the city itself is worth a couple of nights. Dalat in the mountains is fine too as well as Kontum and Pleiku. There is a wonderful market there that is famous for stalls serving huge helpings of vegetarian food. Hire a bike and cycle around to the small surrounding villages. i would also consider a few days in Nha Trang where you can go island hopping and enjoy a seafood buffet while on the boat. The beach is clean (at least it was when i was there) and there are a few sites to see too. In the Delta you must visit Cantho and get up very early to observe the activity at the market on the river.
    In HCMC there are tours to Cu Chi Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple. The temple is interesting and you will see the followers of this little known religion dressed up in their traditional costumes.
    In my opinion i would just spend one night in Danang before flying out as i think the other cities have more to offer.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

The Tunnels near Hue are different in that they were used for a whole village to live when the war was on. Babies were born there, a Hospital, School etc were all in the Tunnels. You tour the Tunnels with a guide who explains what each area is. They have models in some places in the tunnel. I did the DMZ tour which takes you to war sites along the way and includes the Tunnels. At the Tunnels there is a Museum. I enjoyed the day.
    "VINH MOC TUNNELS" - Hue Things to Do Tip by balhannah
    The other tunnels are what the Vietnamese soldiers used. An explantion was given, then we were sent down them in a group, that is, if we wanted to go as they are quite small, and were extremely hot at the time of the year I was there. No good for claustrophobic people or if you have asthma.
    As mentioned, the tour usually includes the Cao Dai Temple, both are interesting.
    "Cao Dai Holy See" - Out of Saigon - Cao Dai Temple Tip by balhannah
    "Cu Chi Tunnels" - Out of Saigon - Cu Chi Tunnels Tip by balhannah

2 members found this helpful

• cal6060's Profile Photo

by cal6060 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Traveling to Vietnam can be easy and fun with the local tour agency. I did my 10 day trip traveling from HCMC to Hanoi, stopping by Hoian, and Hue. I was traveling with The Sinh Cafe, https://www.thesinhtourist.vn/, a popular backpacker travel agency in Vietnam, the rate are very competitive and reliable. Check out its website to learn more! Don't have to book anything in advance, plan and book the tour and open bus while you arrive in HCMC. Open bus is another great experience as we traveled on the sleeper bus between cities overnight. Be careful, as there are many fake Sinh Cafe in Vietnam, make sure you get the right address from the website. You can also visit my Vietnam pages to get a glimpse of places we visited.

Have a good trip!

1 member found this helpful

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM

It sounds like you have about two weeks for your trip, so be careful not to try to pack in too many things. Vietnam is a fantastic country and it is easy to become lost in its sights and sounds.

Not sure if "wandering" means you plan to take trains and buses, but that travel is slow going. So make sure you have given it plenty of time.

The other members have given you some great ideas to consider.

I am most familiar with Nha Trang and HCMC and can say that in HCMC you can get very reasonable tours to the delta and to the tunnels. There is a lot to see and do in Saigon, but if your plans are to make it to Hue, best not to stay in HCMC too long.

If you go to Nha Trang, there are miles of beaches, both public and private (and they are still very clean at least as of last year-See picture) and plenty of sites to explore.

May want to consider a route from HCMC to Da Lat to Nha Trang. Easy enough to travel up the coast from Nha Trang on Hwy 1 to your final destinations. Check out the travel pages, tips and forum posts for more information.

Good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

• capelkay's Profile Photo

by capelkay Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

13-May Arrive SGN 3.50pm
    14-May look around HCMC Ben Thah Market turtle square
    15-May Cu Chi Tunnels & Temple Tay Nih midday service
    16-May Cantho
    17-May Cantho Cai Rang Floating Markets
    18-May Dalat open air Train to Trai Mat Hamlet Dalat Market and Peaceful Xua Huong Lake
    19-May Dalat
    20-May Na Trang Big Buddah
    21-May Na Trang
    22-May
    23-May HOI An New Moon Lantern festival
    24-May HOI An Japanese bridge fish market 6-7am opp south end market
    25-May My Son Ruins
    26-May Marble Mountain Area an route to Hue/ Hai Van Pass
    27-May
    28-May Hue Perfume river cruise/take bike and cycle back Dong Ba Market
    29-May Hue cyclo Citidal & forbiden purple city
    30-May Danang by road/rail
    31-May 7.15 arrive KL
    1-Jun
    2-Jun Depart 5 past midnight

Forbidden purple city

• capelkay's Profile Photo

by capelkay Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Below is my rough draft, i do not plan to book anything but visa and my firtst night accomodation before i leave. So my itinerary can flow as the trip unfolds. Would you mind haveing a look and pointing out any obviuous things that wont work and any tip for transport between cities etc.
    day 1 Arrive SGN 3.50pm
    2 look around HCMC Ben Thah Market turtle square
    3 Cu Chi Tunnels & Temple Tay Nih midday service
    4 Cantho
    5 Cantho Cai Rang Floating Markets
    6 Dalat open air Train to Trai Mat Hamlet Dalat Market and Peaceful Xua Huong Lake
    7 Dalat
    8 Na Trang Big Buddah
    9 Na Trang
    11 HOI An New Moon Lantern festival
    12 HOI An Japanese bridge fish market 6- 7am opp south end market
    13 My Son Ruins
    14 Marble Mountain Area an route to Hue/ Hai Van Pass
    16 Hue Perfume river cruise/take bike cycle backDong Ba Market
    17 Hue cyclo Citidal & forbiden purple city
    18 fly out Danang
    19 7.15 arrive KL
    21 Depart 5 past midnight

Don't want to rush around so let me know if i am trying to cover to much. I love to photograph so love markets and people watching. So appreciate your time and experience.
    Would lpve to see the people bring thier bird to the park where is best spot for this in HCMC.
    Thanks for your time. Paula

• Re: Vietnam HCMC to Hue

by larsay Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM

My Son is 50 km from Hoi An and very small thanks to the Vietnam War B 52, so 1/2 day is more than enough

Same tunnels !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations