Vietnam Travel Answers

change location
Patienceman's Profile Photo

3 days in Vietnam...where would you go?

by Patienceman Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Hi guys I will be in Malaysia August and am planning to take a short trip to either Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar whilst I am there. I only have 3 days for this and am seriously considering Vietnam.

With this small window where would you guys recommend to go? I go to Malaysia every year to see family and usually take advantage of being in that part of the world to go see somewhere else.

Am I making the right choice? I love food, heading out, culture & sightseeing. I want to go to one location that has the most rather than traveling round the country.

Where would you go? ;-)

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • eMGeographer's Profile Photo

Re: 3 days in Vietnam...where would you go?

by eMGeographer Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

It is not much time for Vietnam. I would visit Hanoi, love that city. It gives overview about how does the country look like (peoples habits, way of life, etc.). HCMC is to much 'western' ;)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

The obvious place would be Siem Reap in Cambodia as everything to see is nearby but if you must go to Vietnam i second emgeographer's opinion. Hanoi or Saigon will be the only two places to fly to from Malaysia without traveling too much when you arrive there. Hanoi is a beautiful city with the lakes, the old quarter and handicraft villages on the outskirts of the city. Great food too!!!

3 members found this helpful

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Ouch, yeah three days isn't much time. Can not argue with the others, both offer up great sights.

But I am a Saigon (as well as Nha Trang for the beach) guy mainly because of my wife and her family. HCMC is bigger, louder and more westernized. However, in Saigon you can see many museums, go to the Chu Chi Tunnels and take a one day tour down to the Mekong Delta. Food of every sort is everywhere and of course the traditional Vietnamese soup "Pho" can not be beat. Of course if you go to Hanoi, there is also the famous Halong Bay for a side trip.

Take a look at the travel pages, tips and forums to give you an idea of what you might like to see and do......then try to extend you trip a few more days.

• linhc5's Profile Photo

by linhc5 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

hi i'm vietnamese. and i think that there are many destination for your traveling. Hanoi capital, HCMC, Ha Long, Nha Trang are the most famous tourism city in vietnam. and there were many useful recommendations. so, why don't you take a trip to Hue- Vietnam ancent capital. it is considered as cuisine capital of Vietnam. and Hoi An ancent town (one of the 10 destinations in Asia) . 130km from Hue city i think that they are great for you! linh

2 members found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

If going to Vietnam for a quick trip HCMC has enough to do over three days to give you a sense of adventure and a taste of the culture to return in the future. Easy access to the city and getting out is no problem. I hope you can find more days for your vacation to relax in the beaches.

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

If you want to go to Vietnam, then I would say spend 3 days in Hanoi, if not, Siemp Reap in Cambodia, buy the 3day temple pass and see Angkor Wat and most of the other temples in 3 days.

1 member found this helpful

• daawgon's Profile Photo

by daawgon Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

By all means Hanoi is the place to go - often picked as the most Asian of large Asian cities, and my favorite location. Hanoi is a strange sort of beauty, but it's Old Quarter is unlike any other place. You should hurry because it's changing - modernizing and becoming Vietnam's most wealthy city. With 3 brief days you should stay in the Old Quarter, and I suggest starting off with a reservation with the free student guide organization called Hanoikids. Vietnam's best tourist attraction is it's people, and you will make an instant friend in the guide who volunteers for your Kids' tour.

• Re: 3 days in Vietnam...where would you go?

by drhaianh87 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hi,
    It really depends on what you want to see. I really think Vietnam is a place that you need to take a good 10+ days and really see what they have from one end to the other..

I think Cambodia would be great for 3 days - definitely go and see Angkor Wat at Sunrise and then do a full day tour of the other temples such as Angkor Thon and Bayon..
    Be sure to check out the villages on the river too..

You can contact us : www.odctravel.com.vn

• haiauchamchi's Profile Photo

by haiauchamchi Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Vietnam has a lot of places to go, where I found interesting.
    If you like food, you can go to Hanoi: I will show you 10 most delicious dishes that I think you should enjoy: aroundvn.com/2013/03/top-10-...

If you are interested in exploring: you can go to Ha Long Bay, I do not find myself about it, but there is a more interesting place. That son doong cave: aroundvn.com/2013/02/son-doo... - you look at it. Son Doong cave is the largest in the world.

If you like the looks ancient, you can come to Hoi An, a city that has attracted a lot of visitors in 2012.

Wish you a reasonable alternative.
    Good luck :)

• Re: 3 days in Vietnam...where would you go?

by thuhangquangbinh Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM

If you like seafood you can visit my hometown, Quang Binh province. Because you have only three days, I think you should visit Ho Chi Minh city with many types of food. Hope you have nice days in Vietnam.

• ivy7117's Profile Photo

by ivy7117 Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Ho chi Minh - crazy Pham Ngu Lao westerner town for the exiciting and strange things happen on the street.

Dalat for canyonning tour - adventurous and wicked
    Check out http://dalattours1.wix.com/home

Nha Trang - AWESOME, cheap seafood and lovely beaches.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vietnam Travel Answer Locations