Vieste Travel Answers

change location

travelling puglia

by rozusa Online Now Jun 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

thinking of starting at vieste, then heading to castel del morite, alberobello, matera, ostuni, and lecce. How many days would I need and are there private taxis to take you there? Any suggestions. I am a 68 year old female travelling alone and do not speak the language. If I rent a car do the GPS's work well? Thanks for you help.
Roz

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: travelling puglia

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hi. I'm a 68 year old female too. 8^)

I can't advise you on time for your trip although I would plan at least a day in each place minimum and you have to figure in transportation time too.

We have used a GPS and it worked well, especially if you stay in more populated areas which you seem to be doing. You need to be sure your GPS speaks English so you might want to buy one in the US or UK (wherever you are from) unless you speak Italian. Be sure it's programmed for the roads in Italy. We use a Garmin and have been happy with it. We do always take a map along because we like to get way off the beaten path.

If you don't want to drive, plan to take trains and buses. Both are inexpensive and comfortable in Italy.

BTW, don't miss Otranto while you're in the area. The Old Town is beautiful and you will enjoy the chateau and the church which has the largest mosaic floor in Europe (or so we were told) and the chapel of the Otranto Martyrs.

Here's the Italian train site. http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Enjoy your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines