Vieques Travel Answers

change location

San Juan to Vieques

by TreeinPR Online Now Dec 20, 2004 at 12:23 PM

Hi...my husband will be staying in San Juan mid-January. We want to visit the Bio Bay in Vieques, but don't want to stay the night in Vieques. From what I can tell, the last ferry/flight out of Vieques back to Fajardo or San Juan is around 5pm, which means we wouldn't get to see the bay at night time. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting from Vieques back to San Juan later at night? After dark? Thanks!! We desparately want to see the bio bay!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • SunTanBob's Profile Photo

Re: San Juan to Vieques

by SunTanBob Online Now Dec 20, 2004 at 12:58 PM

My wife and I researched that very same issue prior to our trip last summer due to time constraints and came up dry. But I just thought I'd respond because we actually ended up doing an overnight on Culebra (bio bay will have to wait till next time!) instead and had a great experience. So if you can work it, I would highly recommend just doing an overnight. The small-island lifestyle is quite unique, the beaches are pristine and the snorkeling spectacular and not to be missed. And bottom line you'd be able to do the Vieques bio bay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

by diver-x Online Now Dec 20, 2004 at 8:08 PM

I agree. Spend the night. It's a nice island! The bio-bay is not to be missed!

• Re: Re: San Juan to Vieques

by TreeinPR Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 8:38 AM

Thanks. Yes, we were looking into Culebra. We just are paying a good amount for a room in San Juan and don't want to lose that money for an overnight stay either in Culebra or Vieques. Would much prefer a day trip to the island. Well, thanks for your input.

• boricua12's Profile Photo

by boricua12 Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 5:16 PM

Hi!!! Had you checked the airlines? There are small planes with flights from Fajardo to Vieques, and now there are direct flights from San Juan to Vieques. You can check at American Eagle, or Caribbean Sun. Or maybe you can find help in the Tourism Official web site of Puerto Rico: www.gotopuertorico.com. Maybe you can find a flight at night. But, the bad news are that maybe the ticket will cost almost the same as the night in San Juan. You can also try to book a tour that combines San Juan and Vieques bio bay, so you can stay in both places. Good luck!!!! Yanisse

• Re: San Juan to Vieques

by tangirl Online Now Dec 24, 2004 at 7:33 AM

My husband is working in San Juan and I am taking my two boys, leaving the 31st. We have ran into the same problem with the Bio Bay, and not wanting to spend the night. There are actually 3 Bio Bays in the area. We have decided to take the Bio Bay tour just off Fajardo. Although Vieques is supposed to have the most "plankton" (I think that is waht its called?)per square inch, and certainly be the most beautiful, the bay at Fajardo is supposed to be just as spectacular to see at night, and you can also take a swim.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vieques Travel Answer Locations