Vieques Travel Answers

change location
rkearns's Profile Photo

living in vieques

by rkearns Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM

i will be living in vieques (the actually town) for about a year. does anyone know anything about it? tips? what to expect? customs, culture, shopping, outdoorsy stuff?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • rkearns's Profile Photo

Re: living in vieques

by rkearns Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

it's for a year. it's a little house on a hill. it's the town of vieques on the island of vieques. what do you think?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Matt420's Profile Photo

by Matt420 Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM

We were there about a year ago, but only spent a week. The beaches were great, and you will have no problem finding one where you are the only one there. Everything is a little more expensive because it is brought in on the ferry, but not too over the top. We found the street vendor food to be very good. Cock fighting is legal and regulated (no fighting to the death) but were told it was for locals only and we shouldn't go. There are quite a few horses walking freely around the island so be very careful driving at night. There are basically two grocery stores, one on each side of the island and we did see a "health food" store. As stated above, the island was used as a bombing site for a long time so half the island is blocked from tourist and locals, but all beaches are accessable by boat. Bio Bay was fun, but only go when there is no moon at all, but I did read a lady had gotten bitten by small shark, maybe just rumor. We rented a car and were told to leave the windows down and the glove box open if we went to any beaches, only so the car wouldn't get broken into. I personally never felt unsafe or had any issue.

• rkearns's Profile Photo

by rkearns Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

thanks for your answers. i'm not worried about personal safety, as i have been in WAY worse situations. the water, i will collect from the roof, or buy it bottled from somewhere other than vieques. the stories are half political, as told by a local, but people who have lived there all of their lives have had health issues, so say the least. being there for a year won't cause any damage, especially now. i have done tons of research and spoken with locals.

thanks all for the responses.

• Re: living in vieques

by gregstewart11 Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Well viegues is a nice place and beautiful beaches. Vieques is best known internationally as the site of a series of protests against the United States Navy's. if you love nature and stuff off the beaten path, then this is the place Vieques is quite ecologically conscious, there is an outdoor shower that runs hot water via solar panels, lots of green, a small pool too....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vieques