change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rachel972's Profile Photo

Online tickets to the Belvedere

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I want to order the tickets for the lower and upper Belvedere. It is for one entrance. Can we go to each palace on a separate day (entering each place only once ) ?

more

Timetable for Vienna museums

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM

I get my information from different websites, and I'm going to buy the entrance tickets online. I understand that the upper and lower Belvedere are separate, that I can see the lower on one day, coming early to see the Prunkstall that's open only in the morning. And the upper Belvedere on Thursday to see also at noon the painting restoration. The restoration is open on Tuesday too, but I have a concert in the early evening.

We'll be staying at the Beethoven hotel, I guess we'll use the metro stations at the Karlsplaz. To which stations should we travel for each Belvedere? or use a tram? or walk to the Lower, it looks close on the map.

more

Meidling train station

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM

After reading Globetrott's warning about the Südbahnhof, how is the Meidling station? Overcrowded? Clear signs? We have train tickets for Budapest, and plan to take a taxi from the hotel.

more
    • tusharbhotica's Profile Photo

Where to stay in Vienna

by tusharbhotica Online Now Mar 22, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Which is the central area to stay for tourists

more

What are the smoking regulations in Beisl, cafees, shows ?

by Rachel972 Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 8:22 AM

We don't go to any public place where there's the smell of cigarette smoke. I don't like to enter a place, sniffle around and leave.
      Our hotel is near the Naschmarkt, so we'll have quite a choice of eating places. We're coming in April, so that's not a season to sit outside.

more

Showing ID with photo for discount tickets

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I bought several tickets online, opera and museums, and got discounts for age. I have to show a photo ID. Do you think it's ok to show a photocopy of our passports? I don't want to carry them with me.

more

Near Vienna

Showing ID with photo for discount tickets

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I bought several tickets online, opera and museums, and got discounts for age. I have to show a photo ID. Do you think it's ok to show a photocopy of our passports? I don't want to carry them with me.

9 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Online tickets to the Belvedere

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I want to order the tickets for the lower and upper Belvedere. It is for one entrance. Can we go to each palace on a separate day (entering each place only once ) ?

2 Answers Apr 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Meidling train station

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM

After reading Globetrott's warning about the Südbahnhof, how is the Meidling station? Overcrowded? Clear signs? We have train tickets for Budapest, and plan to take a taxi from the hotel.

5 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Timetable for Vienna museums

by Rachel972 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM

I get my information from different websites, and I'm going to buy the entrance tickets online. I understand that the upper and lower Belvedere are separate, that I can see the lower on one day, coming early to see the Prunkstall that's open only in the morning. And the upper Belvedere on Thursday to see also at noon the painting restoration. The restoration is open on Tuesday too, but I have a concert in the early evening.

We'll be staying at the Beethoven hotel, I guess we'll use the metro stations at the Karlsplaz. To which stations should we travel for each Belvedere? or use a tram? or walk to the Lower, it looks close on the map.

3 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    • tusharbhotica's Profile Photo

Where to stay in Vienna

by tusharbhotica Online Now Mar 22, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Which is the central area to stay for tourists

5 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

What are the smoking regulations in Beisl, cafees, shows ?

by Rachel972 Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 8:22 AM

We don't go to any public place where there's the smell of cigarette smoke. I don't like to enter a place, sniffle around and leave.
      Our hotel is near the Naschmarkt, so we'll have quite a choice of eating places. We're coming in April, so that's not a season to sit outside.

5 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    • Vienna card for zone 111

by Chiranjib Online Now Mar 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Is there any vienna card for zones other than zone 100 (e.g. zone 111)?

3 Answers Mar 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM
    • qzaman's Profile Photo

Taxi in Vienna

by qzaman Online Now Mar 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Hello fellow VTer's

Any comments, advice or concerns about getting a taxi in Vienna? Should I prebook one or get one from a taxi stand - any particular taxi company that is good or less bad than others? :)

Thanks a lot

2 Answers Mar 6, 2014 at 1:40 AM
    • axmeg's Profile Photo

Cesky krumlov day trip from pargue

by axmeg Online Now Mar 4, 2014 at 1:42 AM

i will be Prague 3 nights from 12 till 15 September i think to do these tour i should take it or no thx for
      Cesky krumlov day trip from pargue
      thx for help

8 Answers Mar 6, 2014 at 1:59 AM
    • lettychuffy's Profile Photo

Two days in Vienna

by lettychuffy Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Hello everyone !
      I am starting to plan a tour at the end of July . We hope to stay two days in Vienne before travelling on to Prague .As you can see time is important . So I would appreciate ideas for the best things to see .We will be travelling by car .
      Thank you :)

5 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Vienna Street View

by Rachel972 Online Now Feb 22, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Can it be that Vienna has no street view in Google Earth?

8 Answers Feb 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    • Dance Classes in Vienna

by hophophop12 Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I am a student in Vienna and for the following semester I want to do something fun. So I think that I can find a dance course in Vienna but like I said, I am a student. I want people there to be around 18-25 not more, otherwise it would be awkward. Can you help me to find some place according to my wishes?

1 Answer Feb 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Seating at the Vienna Volksoper.

by Rachel972 Online Now Feb 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I'm trying to book tickets for the Volksoper, for the Bartrered Bride. This opera should have a large dance group, who use the whole depth of the stage. So it's important for me to get seats with unobstructed view, and high enough above the stage that we don't see only the front edge of the stage.

I tried to reserve tickets on the balcony, but I couldn't complete the order, maybe they don't sell this, and maybe the balcony is very far from the stage anyway, and not above the parterre.

How is the view from the parterre?

2 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Any use of renewing my German Passport?

by Rachel972 Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:23 AM

I have a German passport, which was valid till 1996, before Euro. My husband doesn't, so when we go through passport control at airports we always go together at the non-euro control.

I haven't renewed it, because I don't need it. (I got it first for a trip to Iran in April 1979, our luck that it was for a few days after the Houmeini revolution).

Are there any discounts in Vienna that would make it worth while to renew? We'll pay mainly for museum entrances, opera. Staying ten days.

4 Answers Feb 8, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Reserving seats at the Volksoper

by Rachel972 Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I want to order tickets for "The Bartered Bride" at the Volksoper. On the website I got - Vienna Classic online ticket office - I can select the category, but I don't see that I can select the Balkon. There's a seating map, with prices, but the only option is to choose the price category.

I want to sit high enough to see the whole depth of the stage for the dances, but not in the gallery which is too high for multifocal glasses.

Is there another website where I can select a seat, as in the Budapest Opera website, or at least the section?

3 Answers Feb 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Tickets for Boys concert on Easter

by Rachel972 Online Now Feb 4, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I'm planning our Easter days. I see that there's the Mozart Kroenungsmesse with the Vienna boys choir in the Hofburgkapelle.
      events.wien.info/de/rk/die-w....

We come to Vienna almost a week earlier. If I order tickets from home, there's a 25% surcharge, no matter how they call it. I's important for us to see the choir, more than to have a complete view of the altar. On the website they don't show where they stand, and I don't want to repeat my disappointment with the Mozart Requiem in Prague, where it could have been a recording, as we saw nobody making the music.

Do they sell marked seats or just the section?

3 Answers Feb 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    • Train tickets to salzburg and innsbruck

by teardr0ps13 Online Now Feb 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Hi I'm currently in Vienna and planning to head to Salzburg tomorrow for about two days before heading to Innsbruck. I understand the most economical option now is train via Westbahn but how about the onward train to Innsbruck? Or is there any more economical deal considering my travel plans? TIA!

4 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Does anyone know this bookshop and pub?

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jan 30, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I can't find it any more... it was late and dark and I had had some Punsch... We came from the Christmas market at Maria-Theresien-Platz, then walked through Museumsquartier and kept left. Somewhere in the side streets between Mariahilfer Straße and Wienzeile (I think) we found this remarkable place. It was a pub which also was a bookshop (hence entirely non smoking, very pleasant), and if I remember correctly the name was Alex-something. It was located on a street corner, with the entrance right at the corner of the building. Does anyone know it and can tell me the exact name and address?

4 Answers Jan 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Booking train tickets

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM

We'll take the train from Vienna to Budapest, in April. We already have the date, how long ahead should I book? I prefer to do it online at home before we get to Vienna.

I see this www.raileurope website. What's this "Flexible second class, Non exchangeable, non refundable" ? Maybe I don't know whats Flexible, but I know what's Non.

For taking a train to Melk, do we just get to the Westbahnhof and buy the tickets, or should this be done in advance? We don't have anything else to do at the train station area (we'll pass there on the way to Schoenbrunn).

6 Answers Jan 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Guidebook for Vienna

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I've got a small pocket size Vienna Lonely Planet guide, and I don't like it. It's mostly about shopping and eating, and the print and maps are small for my eyes. I've got a recommendation for an Eyewitness guide, but I haven't seen it. I've plenty of time now to order from Amazon.
      I don't want to buy something heavy, even if I buy it in Vienna, I'll take it home.

I've got a good folded city map.

15 Answers Apr 4, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Museum tickets, credit card use

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM

On our April visit I'll want to visit several museums - we have nine full days. Is there a concentrated web page listing opening days, or do I have to look separately for information about each museum? I'll try to buy with senior citizens discount, though it may not be possible for us anyway.

Can I buy tickets ahead at the tourist information? I don't want to stand in line a lot at every museum, or maybe it's not a crowded season? If there's a free entry day, I don't want to be there. I had enough of that at the Hermitage.

Using credit cards, is it done for buying entrance tickets? Restaurants?

2 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Senior citizens discounts

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Are there any discounts for seniors? We're not Euro citizens. For museums, city transportation, train to Budapest?

1 Answer Jan 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Melk Abbey, day trip

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM

We want to see the Melk Abbey. Should we take a day tour from Vienna, which includes a boat trip to Melk, or should we find our own transportation? Does the day tour go with the regular guided abbey tours, or does this group do their own tour, maybe cut short to have time for lunch, or the upriver boat takes a long time?

I usually don't like the trips which take a long time to collect the people from various hotels, and then waste time for restaurants. But maybe they have some transportation to up the 40 meters up to the abbey. We originally planned to do this with a car when returning to Vienna from the west, but that trip was cancelled, and now we're staying only in Vienna.

5 Answers Jan 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Easter opening times

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM

We'll be in Vienna around Easter day. Will there be changes in opening times, places closed, transportation changes? Maybe we'll have to change a hotel on this day. Should we try to do this a day earlier?

4 Answers Jan 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    • qzaman's Profile Photo

Has any one used Olotels.com

by qzaman Online Now Jan 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Hi fellow VTer's

I am trying to book a hotel in Vienna and I am getting lot cheaper rates on Olotels.com compared to other known sites. I have never used this site in the past. They ask for a payment and email you a voucher that you have to present at the hotel. I am bit apprehensive about this.

Has anyone used this site and would you please kindly share your experience.

many thanks.

4 Answers Jan 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Two weeks in Vienna in April

by Rachel972 Online Now Jan 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM

We plan to visit Austria in April 2014. Our original plan was to go in September 2012, but I broke my leg the day before the trip. I planned then to be in Vienna one week, and two weeks driving around the country.

I think that April is too early for the country driving, so I'm planning now to be only in Vienna, for two weeks. We don't want to hurry and rush, to see museums - specially Hundertwasser, Klimt, and much much more. A day trip to Melk, one more day trip if there is public transport. Of course opera and concerts.

Do you think that two weeks is too much? I hear many friends saying they were sorry that they didn't have time to see all they wanted.

We've driven in Austria in the summer (about 1990) from the west to Krimmlfall, but never been in Vienna.

12 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    • baron1970's Profile Photo

Vienna, Salzburg and...?

by baron1970 Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM

We are planning to arrive in Vienna as a group of 4 adults, 3 kids (ages: 6-10) on 25th or 26th of January and we have 5 nights to spend. We will be coming back home from Salzburg.
      We would like to decide how many nights we should stay in Vienna, Salzburg and other options if you could help us with the following questions. Thank you in advance.
      1- How many nights in Vienna?
      2- Any must-see attractions for our kids in Vienna?
      3-Besides Vienna and Salzburg which other cities, towns or even villages in Austria or neighbouring countries we should visit? (not more than 2 hours by train or car)?
      4- Is it dangerous to rent a car and drive in January?

5 Answers Jan 16, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    • restaurants in Vienna

by yanivwaldman Online Now Dec 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

what are the three best restaurants in Vienna? i have 15 people arriving and i need to impress them.
      thanks in advance,
      Yaniv Waldman

5 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    • soncnica's Profile Photo

Parking - Meidling-Favoriten

by soncnica Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Hi!
      I am going to Vienna this weekend and I'l stay at Austria Trend Hotel Bosei (Gutheil-Schoder-Gasse 7B, 10. Favoriten).
      I know public transport is not really close, there's Badner Bahn station (I am not sure which one) and U-Bahn Tscherttegasse station. As I travel with my car, I'd like to know if there's a possibility of parking nearby those stations so I would just drive from the hotel to the station, leave my car there, go to the centre by train and return back to the station; the thing is, return to the hotel at nigh by foot seems to be rather desolate (and I'll be tired anyway) so this would be the perfect solution.
      Thank you!

2 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 4:01 AM
    • glen006's Profile Photo

Attending an Austria Wien football match

by glen006 Online Now Dec 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Hello,

My wife and I will be in Vienna on 19 December, when Austria Wien plays Ried, and we are thinking about going to the game.

Are tickets easy to get, and how much would they cost?

Also, how safe is it?

Is it dangerous for a couple to go to the game, and to and from the stadium?

Cheers, Glen

1 Answer Dec 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM