Vienna Travel Answers

change location

RAILWAY STATION TO CENTRE

by packtarl Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Hi. I will be travelling to Vienna from Bratislava for a day trip. I will have a ticket that gives me use of Viennas public transport. My question is which station will I arrive at from Bratislava? I have a good map of Vienna that shows all the Metro routes etc. but I need to know which station I will arrive at so I can plan my route into the centre. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: RAILWAY STATION TO CENTRE

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Bratislava's central station is called Bratislava - Hlavná Stanica, often shortened to Bratislava- Hl. St.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM

When I did this last October I went all the way to Wien Sudbahnhof (Ost). It was a bit of a fiddle to get into the centre of the city from there, not least because there are ongoing massive building works at the Sudbahnhof. My tip has info and photos about getting to the centre:

"From (or to) Bratislava." - by train to Vienna Tip by leics

With hindsight, I think (and thought on the way back to Bratislava) that it would be easiest to get off at Wien Simmering and just take the direct U-bahn connection from there to Stefansplatz.

Not all Bratislava>Vienna trains stop at Wien Simmering. It depends on which departure time you choose. You can see all the intermediate stops for each train on the excellent:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

Click the red arrow by the departure time and then the grey 'see intermediate stops' arrow to get a listing.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Whoops, sorry, I read the question back to front!!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I don't think there will be much, if any, difference in price for Simmering or Sudbahnhof. I found staff at Bratislava's station to have at least good-enough English. They will sort you out with a return ticket to Vienna for around 11 euro (I didn't spot any ticket machines, although they may be tucked away somewhere in the station).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I've done the backwards-reading thing more than once, Hawkhead! :-)

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I did the opposite of you Wien Sudbahnhof to Bratislava. Sudbahnhof is being rebuilt but you can get aay from it by schnelbahn or tram.

• Austrian_NTO's Profile Photo

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I personally would get out at the first junction with the metro violet line U2, which is called WIEN STADLAU. Departing from Bratislava hlavna stanica you will reach Wien Stadlau in less than one hour. Just then upstairs is the tube station.
    The next tube junction station is Praterstern, where you could take the metro red line U1 to Stephansplatz, if you need to go to the city centre. If you tell me exactly where in Vienna you need to go I can advise you more specificly.

Regards
    Ottavio N.

• Re: RAILWAY STATION TO CENTRE

by Norman_C Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Trains now terminate at the new Hauptbahnhof station from where you can get underground line U1 to the city centre or tram D to the Ringstrasse.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vienna