Victoria Travel Answers

change location

Port McNeill

by Lupyloo Online Now Feb 9, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Hi,

I am staying in Port McNeill for a few days this summer as I couldn't get accommodation in Telegraph Cove. However I am doing a couple of bear trips from there that start early in the day. I was initially told they would do a pick up from P M but have now been told I have to get down to T.C. Does anyone know a way other than by Taxi as I am on a Budget. Would renting a bike or scooter work out cheaper and can I actually do that from Port Mcneill?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • BungalowJill's Profile Photo

Re: Port McNeill

by BungalowJill Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I don't know if the roads have improved since last year, but if not, don't get a scooter!!! I don't think they rent them in PM either, as most of the roads with the exception of the highway and downtown streets are dirt and gravel. We nearly killed the suspension on our van getting to telegraph cove. I don't think a bike would be much more effective. I was pretty sad after going there; someone's bought the entire town and turned it into a sordid tourist resort. Everyone had told me how beautiful it was, and now it's a series of parking lots for RVs and the ugliest hotel I've ever seen. Still worth seeing for the original town though. The little restaurant down by the ferry dock in Port McNeill has good food, simple but tasty. You will also find the only cappuccino bar north of Campbell River near the ferry.
    It's pretty rough and tumble on the north end of the island. Definitely off the beaten tourist path in a lot of ways, but just the drive to get there is quite breath-taking. I've lived on the island for thirty years and I never realized just how wild and wooly most of it is, at least anything past Campbell River!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines