Victoria Travel Answers

change location

Whale watching?

by tornado25 Online Now Apr 19, 2005 at 11:21 AM

We will be in Victoria next week and wanted to do some whale watching. Are there any charters that are good to avoid and is it worth the price for late April? I've always wanted to do this but there are a number of companies. Any advice would be great!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Carmanah's Profile Photo

RE: Whale watching?

by Carmanah Online Now Apr 19, 2005 at 12:40 PM

From my experience as a student who spent a summer working for a whale watch company near Vancouver, all whale watching expeditions that leave the Victoria area are all going to see the same whales. What will differ between them, besides their location in Victoria, their staff, and their prices, will primarily be the kinds of boats they use. I worked for a company that used open and closed zodiaks. These boats were fast and you had to remain seated until you arrived at the whales, however, not everybody wants to speed along the water and remain seated. In this case, you'll want to use a company that might have the ability to wander around, or to go inside if it gets breezy. Some companies use rebuilt fishing vessels... some use yacht type boats, some have 2 stories of viewing decks, etc. Think about the kind of experience you want. If you want something exciting, open zodiaks are the way to go (and there should be several choices from Victoria). If you're looking for something more tame, go for a covered boat, or a yacht type vessel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines