Vicksburg Travel Answers

change location
Planner4031's Profile Photo

Question regarding Military Park Monument

by Planner4031 Online Now Jun 15, 2006 at 8:44 AM

My wife an I toured the Vicksburg Military Park two years ago. What a wonderful and touching tribute to the people who lived an dfought in that beautiful city.

We are from California and were traveling to visit military relatives in Biloxi MS. I am somewhat of a history buff and so we planned the visit to Vicksburg well in advance. As you enter the park-near the visitor center there is a monument that includes the names of the states that sent troops to fight there on behalf of the Confederacy. I was surprised to see "Maryland" on that monument. Can you provide any details about that, since Maryland was not truly part of the confederacy?

Thank you so much. We loved your city and the south in general. Hope to retire in the area in a few years.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • donato1899's Profile Photo

RE: Question regarding Military Park Monument

by donato1899 Online Now Jun 15, 2006 at 2:40 PM

Just a guess.
    Maryland was a border state in the War between the States,I bet there were Union and Confederacy supporters in MD at that time. Slavery may have been legal in MD then too.
    Maybe, they had a unit of volunteers who fought with the south.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

Maryland did provide Confederate troops

by PR-7 Online Now Jun 16, 2006 at 7:03 AM

Slavery was legal in Maryland in 1861. Many of its residents and politicians, including the mayor of Baltimore, were openly sympathetic to the Confederacy. When Union troops passed through Baltimore in 1861, a riot broke out against them. Although Maryland never officially seceded from the Union, some of its residents did form volunteer regiments to fight with the Confederacy.

www.loc.gov/rr/main/uscivilwar/E56661.html

I found this with a quick Google{R} search of

"confederate troops" Maryland

• Planner4031's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Question regarding Military Park Monument

by Planner4031 Online Now Jul 27, 2006 at 7:54 AM

Thank you for your response. It makes a lot of sense.
    Jay

• Planner4031's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Question regarding Military Park Monument

by Planner4031 Online Now Jul 27, 2006 at 7:56 AM

Thanks for your input. Another person provided this response:

Slavery was legal in Maryland in 1861. Many of its residents and politicians, including the mayor of Baltimore, were openly sympathetic to the Confederacy. When Union troops passed through Baltimore in 1861, a riot broke out against them. Although Maryland never officially seceded from the Union, some of its residents did form volunteer regiments to fight with the Confederacy.

www.loc.gov/rr/main/uscivilwar/E56661.html

I found this with a quick Google{R} search of

"confederate troops" Maryland

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines