Vicenza Travel Answers

change location
ValeryCollins's Profile Photo

Vicenza puzzle

by ValeryCollins Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I recently visited Vicenza to research the town for a book I am writing. I took a photograph of what I thought was the Tower of Torment but written on the side of the tower is Torre dei Loschi - are they both the same? Does anyone know the history of this tower?
Also are Piazza Palladio and Piazze delle Erbe the same place?
I really would appreciate some help on this one.
Thanks
Valery

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

Re: Vicenza puzzle

by domenicococozza Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Hi Valery,
    My memories of Vicenza are a little vague, but I do remember that Torre dei Tormenti was tacked onto the end of a church in Piazza delle Erbe.
    I don't know the Torre dei Loschi, but literally this means Tower of Suspicion.
    However, I've a feeling these are two different towers. I found some photos of both on Flickr and the former seems to be older and more elabortate.
    There is no Piazza Palladio - it is known as Piazzetta Andrea Palladio and is about 100 metres from Piazza delle Erbe (South East).
    Hope this helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 4:58 AM

The Loschi was a noble family of Vicenza, the tower belonged to their palace, which has nothing to do with the Torre del Tormento.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Italian Wikipedia:
    "La Torre del Girone, per il fossato che la circondava, o del Tormento perché adibita in seguito a prigione, è una torre medioevale situata in piazza delle Erbe a Vicenza, nel lato posteriore della Basilica Palladiana, a cui la torre è collegata."
    (The Tower of the Circle, [named] for the ditch that encircles it, or [the Tower] of Torment because it was later used as a prison, is a medieval tower set in the Piazza delle Erbe [Piazza of Herbs] in Vicenza, on the back side of the Basilica Palladiana, to which the tower is attached.)

Funny, like Domenico, I would have thought that "dei Tormenti" would have been correct (don't torments always come in groups? ;-) - remember the "Ponte dei Sospiri" in Venice, the Bridge of Sighs, also used for prisoners), but Anna Maria has the name right although Wikipedia suggests that "Torre del Girone" is the older and perhaps preferred name.

On the other hand, the "Torri dei Loschi" don't appear to be famous at all (yes, "torri" = "towers" as there are more than one). Even the city's website mentions them only in passing while describing an itinerary for the disabled through town ("le medievali Torri dei Loschi" - the medieval towers of [the] Loschi [family] - thanks to Anna Maria for the Loschi family note).

As for the history of the Torre del Tormento, we can read the rest of the Italian Wikipedia article (and hope that it is accurate):
    "Venne costruita dalla famiglia Carnaroli nel XII secolo. Nel secolo successivo fu acquistata dal Comune di Vicenza che la destinò a prigione e a conservatoria degli archivi civici e del Registro. Nel 1509 fu incendiata da alcuni malfattori che volevano distruggere le prove a loro carico. In quest’occasione bruciarono anche gli archivi. Dalla metà del Seicento alla seconda metà dell’Ottocento la torre fu adibita a carcere il quale venne poi trasferito a San Biagio."
    (It was constructed by the Carnaroli family in the 12th Century. In the next century, it was acquired by the town of Vicenza, which intended it to be a prison and the storehouse of the town's archives and of the Registry [the official lists of taxpayers, acts of the council, etc.]. In 1509, it was burned by some would-be felons who wanted to destroy the evidence of the crimes that they had been charged with. At this time, the archives were also burned. In the middle of the 1600s to the second half of the 1800s, the tower was used as a jail, which was then transferred to San Biagio.)

Bill

P.S.
    of course, we would all like credit in the forward of your book (the only way I may get published, anyway ;-) )...hahaha...

• ValeryCollins's Profile Photo

by ValeryCollins Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Thanks to those who responded so quickly and helpfully to my query. I have only just discovered Virtual Tourist and think it is great.
    Valery

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines