Vicenza Travel Answers

change location

Travel to Vicenza

by wanderwithshoes Online Now Mar 22, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I am planning to travel to Vicenza from Innsbruck- are there trains for this route? Is it ok to set up base at Vicenza and take day trips to Padua, Venice and Verona?

Suggestions, please.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • hundwalder's Profile Photo

Re: Travel to Vicenza

by hundwalder Online Now Mar 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Yes, there are many trains. If you are trying to save money, take the local train or bus to Brenner. Take the short walk across the border to Brennero, Italy, train station. Buy tickets to anywhere from the electronic ticket vendor. You will like the ticket prices. Trains depart to points south about every 30 minutes. Reservations are an expensive luxury in Italy.

Old hund recommends whistle stops in Vipetino / starzung, Bressanone / Brixen ( don't pass this beauty up ), Balzano / Bozen, and Trento / Trent. The alstadten ( centros ) are all near the train stations. I recommend staying at Villa Francescotti (sp) in fair Verona ( great prices, great friends and ambience ). Take a look at my Italy pages. They cover all of your mentioned destinations ( and Innsbruck ) as well as mine. And please, it's not Padua, it's Padova.

ciao ! guten abend !

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Marianne2's Profile Photo

by Marianne2 Online Now Mar 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Vicenza is a very easy base to use to visit the cities that you mention. The day-trips by train are easily made, and I never made train reservations, just showed up at the station and bought my ticket for the day. There is a local bus system, although I found that getting a taxi to the train station was quicker, so as not to waste any time. Most hotels are in contact with the taxis by a radio system, so the front desk can generally order you a taxi, and the taxis I found to be efficient and on time, in my experience.

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Mar 23, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Anyway, you will find a few direct trains to Vicenza (the ones heading to Venice).
    But you may have a lot of options changing in Verona: every train down from the brenner pass stops here, and then you have an average of a train every hour to vicenza.

The Hostel mentioned is Villa Francescatti, in Verona.
    Ciao
    Francesco

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines