Vicenza Travel Answers

change location
JasonVanessa's Profile Photo

Getting to Treviso Airport

by JasonVanessa Online Now Aug 25, 2004 at 9:51 AM

Hello, I am hoping someone can help us. We are traveling on Ryan Air from Treviso Airport. Our flight leaves at 8:20am on a Friday and we probably need to arrive 2 hours early. Q: How do we get to the Airport from Vicenza so early in the morning? Q: If we drive where can we park? We will need to leave the car for 4 days. Q: We come back on a Monday night at 8:40pm, again, how do we get to Vicenza? Renting a car is our last option because it is too expensive. Q: Any cheap car rentals around? Q: What time should we leave Vicenza IF we end up traveling by car? Is traffic heavy? I would appreciate any help. Thank You, Vanessa

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • BruceHoag's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Treviso Airport

by BruceHoag Online Now Aug 27, 2007 at 1:49 PM

There are several ways to get to Treviso airport. In my opinion, driving should be your last choice.

By far, the easiest way to go is to take a train (http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/)from Vicenza to Treviso Centrale, and then take a taxi from the Treviso train station to the airport. Train fare is about 3.40 euro per person, one way. The taxi fare is fixed at between 14-19 euro for one person. I don't know what the fare would be for more people. The train journey is about an hour, and the taxi jorney is about 10 minutes, depending on traffic. The earliest train out of Vicenza, I think, is at 5.46 am. It will get you into Treviso Centrale just before 7.00 am.

The next easiest way to go is to take a train to Mestre, and then take a bus to Treviso airport. Most RyanAir passengers use this method. The bus station is about 1/4 mile from the Mestre train station. You can find it by turning left as you walk out of the station.

A third way to get to the airport is to take th A4 to thr airport exit. Finding the exit is a little tricky, so it is a good idea to have someone in the car to help you see the signs. The exit is a few miles past the main Mestre toll station. A good rule of thumb is to get in the lane just below the sign indicating where the airport is. As the sign gradually moves to the right, so do you. The exit is just past an AGIP station on the right. When you take the exit, stay in the left lane, otherwise you will end up going towards Venice Marco Polo airport. To recap, you exit to the right just past the AGIP, but then immediately take the left fork in the exit towards Treviso. Exit at Treviso Sud. Follow signs going west towards Vicenza. You will eventually go over a large bridge (where some construction work has been done) and then you will come to some combination of a traffic light and/or large traffic circle, which may still be under construction. Turn left here. The airport is on the left about 1/2 mile. There is a long term car park, but you won't know if it is full until you get there. This is one reason why I recommend you take the train. The main drawback from using this route is that long lines of traffic can form on either side of the toll station. You could easily lose one hour of your allotted travel time just sitting there waiting for traffic to move.

The fourth way to get there is to drive the "back way." This journey follows the SS53 to Treviso. It can be very slow, especially if you get stuck behind some large trucks; but, the potential for a really serious traffic jam (such as often occurs around the Mestre toll station) is much less. So, even if you are moving slowly, at least you will be moving. Take the SS53 to a point just past "mile-marker" number 53. There should be a flashing yellow light at the junction. Turn right there. You might just glimpse a small sign that says "aeroporto" that is mounted quite close to the ground in the turn. Follow the road through the town of Paese. I seem to remember that the road follows a long-ish sort of arc to the left. Even though you will see signs pointing to Treviso, do not turn off the main road. Eventually, you will come to a place where you have to turn right or left. You should see a sign that points to the airport to the left. Turn left here. The airport is a mile or so down on the right. This route is more straightfoward at the beginning, but you could make a wrong turn in Paese and miss the airport.

A fifth way would be to have a friend drop you off at the airport. This would obviate the expense of a rental car and the need for long term parking. You may have to offer a considerable incentive, however, to get your friend to get up that early in the morning.

Whether you opt for numbers 3 or 4, you want to allow at least 2 hours to get to the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines