Viareggio Travel Answers

change location

Cost of living in Viareggio

by oliversbabe Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 6:59 PM

Hi, I'm the team manager of a group of amateur athletes. We are going to Viareggio to compete in the World Life Saving Championships. We are hoping to stay in an inexpensive self catering apartment near the main events which will be held on the beach close to the Congress Center. I'm trying to put together a budget for the trip so I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea of approximately how much groceries for 4 people would cost per week. Or even a few individual prices to give us some idea. For example, How much is a large tin of coffee? 2 liter bottle of water? Bag of pasta? Pasta sauces? Bread? Beer? etc etc..... Any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks, Sue

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of living in Viareggio

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 7:50 PM

Sue, in the "for what it's worth department", my wife and I stayed rented an apartment for about 8 or 9 days in Rome in 2000. On the first day, we went to a local "grocery" store to stock up. This included wine, water, salt, pasta, cheese, ham, bread, oil, vinegar, a bag of frozen mushrooms that had the most amazing floor-of-the-forest smell, and other odds and ends. The cost was about50 US. We bought other stuff at the local green grocer, and we certainly didn't eat every meal there, but a meal at a take-out pizzeria is not expensive (and there was a Chinese place, too!). Of course, the euro has risen some 20% against the dollar since 2000, and "your mileage may vary". But food items are not expensive in Italy unless they're imported...and why would you want to do that? ;-) Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • slickbryl's Profile Photo

by slickbryl Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 12:12 AM

i live close to viareggio and i can tell you that the town isnt chippest, but depend of the season u go there. Infact is more expensive in high season starting in June and finish in September. Anyway i think better buy your food in a supermarket than in a small shop. For sample take a look and check the price at this best tuscany store www.esselunga.it. Ps: dont go to Forte dei Marmi....very exclusive VIP place but expensive more than viareggio. Enjoy your stay.....bernardo

• mariocibelli's Profile Photo

by mariocibelli Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 1:06 AM

If you are cooking in house it is actually very economical. A large 2kilo family pack of good past is about 2 Euros, coffee (formaking mocha/espresso) is about 2.50 to 3.50 depending on the brand. If you like N. European style coffee Nescafe makes a great instant coffee called Caffe Latte for about 3.50 and makes about 60-70 cups. Milk costs between 65 cents to 1.10 per liter. I think you can do well on 100 Euros per week for food, I don't know what you tastes are, but you could probably do it for less if you really like pasts and go for seasonal vegetables and fruits. What is expensive in Viareggio is going out to eat as it is very touristy. However, it is not as bad as Florence although there are less choices. The beach at Torre del Lago is nicer. Yes, I agree, Forte dei Marmi stimks!!

• Re: Cost of living in Viareggio

by 1Twigger Online Now Mar 24, 2004 at 2:17 AM

Hi Sue, We are going to the Champs as well. We are from Australia and we at this end are told that it is much much cheaper if you can arrange food as part of your travel package. The only problem is that if you get knocked out of the comp then you have blown your money if you want to travel instead of staying for the duration of the event. My mate says that he has been travelling very near and if you out of back street cafes etc it's not to bad. He says bread and essentials are reasonably priced!!!!!! don't know if this helps but see ya on the beach. Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines