Viareggio Travel Answers

change location

Rail travel to Florence and Sienna

by georgemac Online Now Aug 29, 2003 at 1:04 PM

can anyone tell me about the rail service from either Viareggio or Marina di Pietrasanta to these two destinations ? My wife and I are making our third visit to Italy and want to make the most of it without having to drive !

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • AnitaZ's Profile Photo

Re: Rail travel to Florence and Sienna

by AnitaZ Online Now Aug 29, 2003 at 3:10 PM

I can't say specifically about these cities, but I have used rail travel in Europe a few times and it has always been easy and convenient. A eurail pass is only cost effective if you will be going to multiple destination. If you are just going from one place to another, just buy a single use ticket. See this web site for eurail info: www.eurail.com Hope this helps... Anita

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Rail travel to Florence and Sienna

by MarvintheMartian Online Now Aug 29, 2003 at 4:10 PM

Check out the Italian railway website at fs-on-line.com/home/en/index... It looks like the trip from Viareggio to Florence would take about 1.5 to 2 hours with a possible change at Pisa. As for Siena - I know you can get a train from Florence but you have to change, it takes longer than the coach and you end up about 3 miles from the centre. The coach from Florence is a better option as it gets there faster and to a better location. I hope that helps a little! Maybe the train website will help more if you are travelling from Viareggio. Martin

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Rail travel to Florence and Sienna

by Docu2001 Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 2:36 AM

I have stayed a few times in Marina de Pietrasanta ... there are train connections out of Viareggio. But even though I love the trains, and the Italian drivers can be challenging, you can have a great experience driving. Train it to Florence for sure - but you might consider a drive to Sienna from Pietrasanta - it's a beautiful trip and Siena isn't that difficult to navigate. Buona journata ...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines